Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to Connect to XP machine

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3

    How to Connect to XP machine



    Hi, my windows XP installation has crashed on a laptop. I'd like to copy all the information off the laptop on to my desktop prior to reinstalling the OS, unfortunately I can't even boot in to XP on the laptop.

    I can see the partition and files when I boot using Knoppix, I can connect to the internet through the router (Linksys RT31P2), the desktop is connected to the same router. I can ping XP from Knoppix, I can not ping Knoppix from XP. The router is configured as a DHCP server.

    Can I copy the entire contents of the laptop (now booted in Linux) to a folder on the desktop (Win XP)? Can I map the drive on the linux machine using XP?

    How should I do this?

    Thanks, John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    I am somewhat pressed for time (about to board plane) will just point you to these links
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...hlight=windows
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    Two comments

    1) if the desktop is XP home (a fat32 file system,) you can do the transfer using knoppix CD's on both ends and avoid the samba configuration.

    2) Google "forensic" type "copies". You can zip and send an entire partition over a network and unzip it into an empty partition on the desktop and then salvage, take it apart and|or recover with partition or file recovery tools at will.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rcook
    1) if the desktop is XP home (a fat32 file system,) ....
    The default file system for XP home is NTFS. While it will also support fat file systems, it is very rare to find someone who installed it this way, and it never comes pre-installed this way.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    Thank you for all the replies.

    I have managed to start the copy process. I did the following:

    - turn off windows firewall
    - allow write access to 'everyone' to a specific share on the windows machine
    - used KNetAttach under Internet to map the shared folder
    - then just used Knoppix to copy the files, it is still copying but is working, transfer rate is OK but not great. It sat idle for quite a while asking if I wanted to skip a tmp file that windows had left open

Similar Threads

  1. I can't connect (by ssh) to my Knoppix 4.0 machine
    By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
  2. Installing on XP machine
    By Dingo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 02:58 AM
  3. Machine name and workgroup
    By tp671 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
  4. Help with a REALLY Old Machine
    By ewangr in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
  5. Turning My Machine Off
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$99.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99