-
Senior Member
registered user
DMA access for drive - HD Install
If DMA access to your disk was not enabled during install then you can edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and remove the # from the line for your drive near the bottom of the file. ie:
Code:
# /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda
To have DMA enabled upon re-boot. If you wish to enable DMA before re-booting then use the command /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/hd? other usefull hdparm options:
/sbin/hdparm /dev/hd? - Tells you the settings currently in use.
/sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hd? - Gives you information on your drive.
/sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hd? - Tests the speed of your drive.
Replace the ? with your drive and all this as root in a console window.
-
Senior Member
registered user
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh
# enable DMA
# /sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdg <--- Comment out this line!
# Added by
# This sets 32 bit I/O and DMA for Hard Drive.
# sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdg
hdparm -X69 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hdg
# Added by
# This sets 32 bit I/O and DMA for CD-ROM Drive.
# sudo hdparm -i /dev/hda
hdparm -X34 -d1 -u1 -c3 /dev/hda
# Added by
# This sets 32 bit I/O and DMA for DVD-ROM Drive.
# sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc
hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -c3 /dev/hdc
NOTE:
Use your /dev/ [Identifiers] Can be found in /etc/fstab !
If your Windows HDD said /dev/hdg1 - use only hdg .
X34 = (Multi-word DMA) 16.6 MB Sec.
X66 = ATA33
X68 = ATA66
X69 = ATA100
X100 = ATA133? Not sure about this one (Try it)
-
Senior Member
registered user
UPDATE
hdparm -X69 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c3 /dev/hdg
-c3 = 32Bit-Sync
-c1 = 32Bit
-W0 = Disable the IDE drive's write-caching feature (usually OFF by default)
-W1 = Enable the IDE drive's write-caching feature (usually OFF by default)
Use -W0 or -W1 for HDD Only.
EAMPLE: hdparm -X69 -W0 -d1 -u1 -m16 -c1 /dev/hdg
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just knoppix-installer as debian an old Gateway PC with a 10GB hdd.
When it boots its very slow and there is a message about "warning, dma is turned off!" But when I check /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, the hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda line is not commented out.
Now that I'm booted-up it doesn't seem slow, but boot-up is. hdparm /dev/hda returns using_dma=1(on) - is this odd?
TIA,
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I just knoppix-installer as debian an old Gateway PC with a 10GB hdd.
When it boots its very slow and there is a message about "warning, dma is turned off!" But when I check /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, the hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda line is not commented out.
Now that I'm booted-up it doesn't seem slow, but boot-up is. hdparm /dev/hda returns using_dma=1(on) - is this odd?
TIA,
That is perfectly normal the bootmisc.sh script is one of the last scripts run on boot. I did some checking on my system and there is a /etc/init.d/hdparm which calls the file /etc/default/hdparm there is an example for a /dev/hda at the bottom of the file commented out I commented out my lines in the bootmisc.sh. Then uncommented in the /etc/default/hdparm rebooted and it worked and entered my second drive into standby just like I had in the bootmisc.sh so you may want to give this file a try and see if it helps. What I changed for your reference:
Code:
## Uncommented by me for dma on hda
/dev/hda {
# mult_sect_io = 16
# write_cache = off
dma = on
}
## Added by me for my settings on hdb
/dev/hdb {
spindown_time = 12
dma = on
}
Edit: Another damn typo.
Edit2: The file for the settings (/etc/default/hdparm) has changed in the newer versions of hdparm to /etc/hdparm.conf.
-
Hi Jorge,
did you enable DMA in your BIOS settings?
Ciao Martin
Similar Threads
-
By StumpMan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 03:03 AM
-
By willkill69 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM
-
By anhtran81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2004, 12:22 PM
-
By VWguyBruce in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 07:42 AM
-
By Colonel Sanders in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

AS IS READ DESCRIP. Supermicro SuperServer 6026TT-HIBQRF 12-Bay 4x X8DTT-HIBQF
$215.00

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08