Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Secure Routers (resolved)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25

    Secure Routers (resolved)

    When setting up a Netgear WGR614 wireless router I
    was surprised to discover that apparently it requires
    Java-script to be enabled in order for the router to
    function. Since every book on security that I've read
    without exception identifies java-script as a security
    risk and suggest that it be used sparingly if at all I went
    searching for a different router.

    I searched this forum with respect to routers in general
    and in particular (Linksys, Netgear, etc.). I searched the
    STD forum. I did a google search.

    There was no shortage of information, in fact there is an
    overwhelming amount but I haven't found anything that
    addresses my concerns. I've read reviews of the WGR614
    that don't mention that it requires java-script enabled.
    I found out that one of the Linksys routers defaults to
    wireless enabled (which seems like poor security practice).

    Even if I would spend a couple of months digging through
    these various links I have no confidence that the information
    I want would be included.

    Would someone here who runs with strong security (java
    disabled, java-script disabled, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.)
    steer me to a few routers (preferably that do not smell like
    a chemical factory) that do not require insecure
    browser settings in order to function?

    Django

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    actually, i have several wireles routers, and NONE requires java. 3com, Netgear and Dlink (piece of junk imho), try without

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    I did try the WGR614 without java-script enabled on
    my browser.

    I didn't write down the exact wording but
    the gist of the error message was that the enhanced
    functionality of the router required java-script enabled
    and I should either enable it in my browser or get a
    browser that supported java-script. It also required
    java-script enabled for the router setup and configuration
    wouldn't work until I made a java-script exception for
    the router's URL.

    Which particular models are you using?

    Django

    PS: Rereading your post I noticed that you said the
    routers didn't require java. The WGR614 didn't complain
    about not having java enabled, it complained about not
    having java-script enabled.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i use among others a cheap Netgear WAG302EU the other two i can't remember and they are not here in my hotell room so...

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for the information.

    Before I hunt up a WAG302EU could you
    confirm that you have both java and java-script
    disabled in your browser and that the router
    doesn't complain.

    Thanks again.

    Django

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as i use lynx it is not enabled as far as I know. lynx is a text only browser, it is very basic, even lacks suport for frames
    , as far as i know it s only the wizards that require scripts. and as the configpart is only acessible from inside the network much of the threat is not as large (although not to be neglected)

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Lynx sounds interesting.

    Anyway, I am using Knqueror and Firefox and
    I am mostly concerned with being able to access
    websites with java and java-script turned off.

    We could nail this down if you would be so kind
    as to check

    Command Center
    --Internet & Network
    ----Web Browser
    ------Java & Java-script

    and see whether or not java and java-script are enabled.

    Django

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ah, ok, i think i understsand, you do not need script to surf using that router, just to configure with the wizard, and no i have no java or javascript enabled.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    ah, ok, i think i understsand, you do not need script to surf using that router, just to configure with the wizard, and no i have no java or javascript enabled.
    You certainly don't need scripting enabled to surf with any router. You might come across one that went overboard on the user interface and wants it to configure the router, but one simple "fix" for that for someone who wanted to avoid any scripting support in their main browser would be to use a second browser just for the rare occasion when they want to configure the router (you could even do this from a virtual machine if you want to exercise extreme caution). If you don't use that browser for anything other than router configuration then the danger is nearly zero, even more so if you rename it, zip it or encrypt it and only put it back when you plan on using it again, but that seems like overkill.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Good to know that java and java-script are not enabled and your router
    doesn't complain.

    Regarding the WGR614, I configured it with exceptions for java and java-script
    for the router's URL and with java and java-script disabled for all other URLs.
    Configuration went smoothly. When I tried to go to a website the router complained
    about not having java-script. It would not access the web without it.

    If it just required java-script for configuration I could live with it. But the router wants java-script on to surf the web, it won't go anywhere without it on. If I try it
    gives me the error message I posted earlier.

    It is good to have a lead on a router that doesn't require poor security settings
    to work.

    Thanks for the help.

    Django

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SSH, secure FTP fileserver
    By tbr.yel in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
  2. Installing modules? P.S: And talking about routers.
    By Terminico in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 03:54 AM
  4. How secure is it?
    By kievlak in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 07:12 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Canon 5.25

Vintage Canon 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive MD 5501 K-61435-18 UNTESTED

$59.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000 picture

Vintage Intel PC Camera Pack USB CICP3 825118 NOS Open Box Complete 2000

$39.99



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage picture

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage

$249.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Computer Peripherals Inc. Ramsack III ISA Memory Expansion  16bit 8 SIMM picture

Vintage Computer Peripherals Inc. Ramsack III ISA Memory Expansion 16bit 8 SIMM

$85.00



vintage Motherboard Socket 370 with Celeron 1.30 Ghz 256MB picture

vintage Motherboard Socket 370 with Celeron 1.30 Ghz 256MB

$62.99



vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc picture

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc

$69.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99