Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Secure Routers (resolved)

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as far as I am aware that is the weirdest thing i have heard in a looong time, it should not be.
    something is SERIOUSLY wrong here, tell me EXACTLY what you are doing to get online, step by step.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    I get on line without a router using a software firewall just fine using 4.0.2. and either Konqueror or Firefox. No problems.

    But if I stick the WGR614 between my system and the broadband connection it wants java-script enabled to either configure the router or surf the internet.

    Yeah it sure is weird... I was flabergasted.

    Now I've been messing around with computers for 30 years and I've done some dumb things and overlooked some obvious stuff now and then but I've looked through all of the WGR614s options that I could find and can't find anything that does the job.

    If the router is between my system and the internet it wants java-script for everything and if the router is not between my system and the internet everything works just fine.

    I've got it packed up to return and would just like to get a router that doesn't befuddle me like this.

    Django

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Hi Harry

    Unless it's a case of operator error (not impossible, I've done it before) there is at least one router that wants java-script enabled to surf the web.

    Regarding what I did: I went to

    Command Center
    --Internet & Network
    ----Web Browser
    ------Java & Java-script

    and made an exception for the router's URL (www.whatevertheyputhere.whatever) for both java and java-script. Then I configured the router. Then I attempted to visit a website and the router complained that java-script wasn't enabled and demanded that I enable it or get a browser that supported it. I'd gotten the same message when I tried to configure the router with my regular security settings.

    Regards,

    Django

  4. #14
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by django
    Unless it's a case of operator error (not impossible, I've done it before) there is at least one router that wants java-script enabled to surf the web.
    I just don't see how this could even be. Sure, JS for some over agressive user interface to configure the router, but after that the router just passes along packets (editing them in the process). It doesn't care about java script. It doersn't even care what the application is that sent the packets, it might be a browser, it might be a mail program, it migh be a news reader or an irc client or an FTP client, or Skype or any other internet aware application. It doesn't even know what application sent the packets, it can't tell, all it knows is port numbers and protocol types. You could stop your browser with JS and the other applications would still run. You could delete the browser from your system and the other applications would still run. And one of those applications could well be another browser without scripting, the router would never know.

    I really do think that you are talking about a case of operator error. If you want to show that that is not the case I would suggest running ethereal to capture an exchange of packets with a website when you have JS enabled, and then trying to access the web site again without JS and capturing those packets so we can all see what is different about the connections.

    Of course, I'm not saying all websites work fine without scripting, so I would suggest using a site that is known to not use scripting. And a simple site will give you far less packets to sort through and see what is really happening than a large complex site. One such clean site would be http://checkip.dyndns.org/, but there are obvioulsy many others.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    After sleeping on the problem I've put together a step-by-step of everything I do to get on the net (however mundane). I go through the same steps whether or not the router is connected. Later I will unpack the router and post the same step-by-step regarding its configuration, etc.

    I currently believe that the answer to the problem probably lies in an interaction between my security settings and the settings/peculiarities/eccentricities/features of the router.

    The Process
    Put in the Knoppix CD
    Push the power switch (with the eth0 cable unplugged)
    When asked use the home=scan bootcode
    When asked deselect the load writeable system option & click ok re: image activation
    After boot process completes go to
    Knoppix
    --Services
    ----Firewall
    and activate the software firewall with mode set to easy, external devices set to ippp, ppp, and eth.
    Plug in cable to eth0
    Run network card configuration
    Knoppix
    --Network/Internet
    ----Network card configuration
    Click yes to DHCP broadcast
    Launch Konqueror.

    A few of the Control Center options that might be relevant include:

    --internet and network
    ----desktop sharing
    uninvited connects are not allowed and the system is not announced on the network

    ----proxy
    connect to the internet directly is checked, automatically detect proxy connection and specify proxy URL are not

    ----Browser Identification
    this is not enabled

    ----Java & Java-script
    these are not currently enabled although I had made an exception for the router

    ----Pluggins
    pluggins are not enabled


    Let me know if there is any other configuration data that might be relevant.

    When I get the router set up again I will try spawning a new browser other than the instance that was used to configure the router. And of course look at the packet stream (that is going to be another learning curve for me since I've so far in my career treated network stuff at that level of detail as a black box.)

    Thanks for the interest and support. Any suggestions welcome.

    Django

  6. #16
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    When you do your tests, try without the home=scan cheat code, that is, try with just a generic knoppix boot. If yu have Internet access through the router that way and not with home=scan then we know it's not a router issue, it's a configuration issue. I'm not saying that I'm sure home=scan is the issue,or even that I think it is, but it would be better to rule it out than for me to not mention that you should check this.

    I think you'll find packet sniffing with ethereal interesting. Yea, it seems mysterious untill you actually have a look, but a lot of thing fall into place when you look. And it is a great tool for resolving issues like this.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Well, I've got it working.

    The problem was a combination of my low boredom threshold and what I would call a misleading error message.

    Booting the router is a three-step process whereby first the access box is powered on, secondly the router is powered on, and thirdly the computer is powered on. Each step requires what feels like an immense amount of time.

    It is my hypothesis that originally I either didn't follow the sequence or didn't wait long enough for one or more of the stages of the process to complete. Either that or the imp of the perverse is toying with me.

    I've run through the process twice and both times everything works fine (although I've noticed an increase in timeouts, perhaps just coincidental, and slower downloads of small amounts of data, 16k can take seconds but I suppose it is probably just congestion of some sort somewhere out there).

    So impatience and an error message that sent me looking in the wrong direction for the solution seem to have been the problem. (Yeah, it was operator error).

    Thanks to all for the support and encouragement as I explored various blind alleys on my way to the mundane solution.

    Django

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. SSH, secure FTP fileserver
    By tbr.yel in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
  2. Installing modules? P.S: And talking about routers.
    By Terminico in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 03:54 AM
  4. How secure is it?
    By kievlak in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 07:12 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4 picture

ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4

$300.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor picture

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00