Hi,

It can be done and I have tried it, but why would you want to use grub? Why not just pop the Knoppix DVD in, use the bootfrom=/path to/Knoppix*.iso (or whatever the name of the iso is) to boot? After booting you can remove the DVD and the drive will be free. This is simpler and does not require editing of the grub files.

However if you want to try using grub, here's one way. The method is adapted from this link: http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantia..._lilogrub.html which describes how to do it for Quantian.

You will need a partition which does not have a /boot directory. Let's call it hda4. Create a /boot. On the Knoppix DVD you will see a direcotry /cdrom/boot/isolinux. Copy the contents of this directory to hda4/boot. The important files here are the kernel named linux and the miniroot which is named minirt.gz.

Next copy the dvd or cd iso file to the root of hda4. Edit the grub menu.lst (I assume it is on hda1 or something) and insert this entry (adjust the paths to point correclty):

title Load Knoppix from DVD iso, kernel 2.6.17
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/linux ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet vga=791 bootfrom=/dev/hda4/knoppix.iso init=/etc/init
initrd /boot/minirt.gz
savedefault
boot

It worked for me, and it is fun to try, and I learned something new, but like I said, it is not really necessary.

Regards.