-
1 Linux for 3 diferent computers on a disk bracket help me??
First an explination
I go to school where they use at least 3 diferent computers currently to use them we use our own harddisk with 3 different versions of MS windows.
Since Live CD's are capable of running on multiple hardware I was wondering.
Could I install Knoppix but preserve the Live CD properties of checking hardware everytime so I can use the same install for 3 different computers???
The 3 computers currently are:
- HP/Compaq P4 HT 2,8 GHz intel 915 chipset
- Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX240 1,7 GHz P4 probably also intel chipset.
- Last and most sertainly least important because there aren't that many of these Fujitsu Siemens no idee about the mobo 2,4 GHz P4
(They all use onboard Ethernet, Graffics and sound (I don't really care about the sound)
So could I use 1 install of Knoppix or any other Linux you van reconmend for booting op all 3 systems.
I'm relatively new to Linux, I only tried 3 distro's so far and can't live without a dual boot with XP (for now).
At home I just passed the barrier of using Linux more then Windows but I have to use Windows at school all the time I might revert to Windows.
Because I spend about 5 hours on school computers a day and maybe 2 home.
And because we mainly work with VMware and stuff at school that is not a problem (is it????, I never tried it with Knoppix)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
Why don't you bring the LiveCD to school and boot the computers in school using the LiveCD? Bring your own hard disk on the bracket to store your data, but use the Live CD to boot. That would be the simplest.
Regards
-
Good idea but I capable of installing additional packages and programs that way?
(Like VMWare Workstation (using it for school.), wine and other programms.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, if you create a persistent image on the hard disk on the bracket, you can install new packages to your Knoppix and they will be available in future sessions. I am talking about Knoppix 5.0.1 here. Wine is already on the Knoppix CD. But unfortunately I have no experience with VMware so I don't know whether it can be done or not.
I have installed many Debian packages on a persistent image without problems, but I have encountered problems with some packages. This is because Knoppix is a highly customised set of interlocking components like a jigsaw. If you try to install a complicated package which requires lots of dependencies, or it requires upgrading of some other system packages or libraries, then this almost always causes problems. Simple packages on the other hand can be installed and will run smoothly. The only way to know is to try. If it doesn't work, just reboot with the liveCD and start a new persistent image. Not much to loose. For myself, I keep many persistent images. When I install something and Knoppix breaks, I just delete the image and reload my last good one.
If you do a hard disk install and something breaks after you install a new package, it is very hard to roll back and undo. The only way out is the hard way with a fresh install.
Regards.
Similar Threads
-
By watar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By smileeb in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:48 AM
-
By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 10:16 AM
-
By piko in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
-
By Leox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00