-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, if you create a persistent image on the hard disk on the bracket, you can install new packages to your Knoppix and they will be available in future sessions. I am talking about Knoppix 5.0.1 here. Wine is already on the Knoppix CD. But unfortunately I have no experience with VMware so I don't know whether it can be done or not.
I have installed many Debian packages on a persistent image without problems, but I have encountered problems with some packages. This is because Knoppix is a highly customised set of interlocking components like a jigsaw. If you try to install a complicated package which requires lots of dependencies, or it requires upgrading of some other system packages or libraries, then this almost always causes problems. Simple packages on the other hand can be installed and will run smoothly. The only way to know is to try. If it doesn't work, just reboot with the liveCD and start a new persistent image. Not much to loose. For myself, I keep many persistent images. When I install something and Knoppix breaks, I just delete the image and reload my last good one.
If you do a hard disk install and something breaks after you install a new package, it is very hard to roll back and undo. The only way out is the hard way with a fresh install.
Regards.
Similar Threads
-
By watar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By smileeb in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:48 AM
-
By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 10:16 AM
-
By piko in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
-
By Leox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Compaq 242506-001 Netelligent 100 FDDI DAS Fiber SC PCI Network Adapter Vintage
$249.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage
$200.00

Vintage Personal Accounting & Essential Office 2 CD-ROM PAK For Windows 3.0
$114.00

Vintage Intel C3405 white ceramic gold with chip carrier. Never used working
$44.99

Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064 Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair
$149.99

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99