If you don't know what non-GPL packages are included, maybe you can me direct to the place where I can ask?
Or at least review the licenses of non-GPL packages.
Hello,
I want to create a localized version of Knoppix, however reading EULA of knoppix I understand that the LiveCD can not be redestributed before all the non-free packages will be removed or their licenses will be checked.
Because I'm not a lawer (and I don't have one) I'd prefare remove any non-GPL/non-free packages from the CD in order to prevent any kind of unpleasent issues in the future and not enforce me to check the licenses of all non-GPL packeges. I've searched the web and hadn't found any list of non-GPL software only message that they exists.
If someone can direct me to such kind of list it will help me a lot.
Thanks,
Artik
If you don't know what non-GPL packages are included, maybe you can me direct to the place where I can ask?
Or at least review the licenses of non-GPL packages.
Most of the software in Knoppix is directly from Debian.Originally Posted by artik
All Debian-packages allways installs their copyright-texts to /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE_NAME/copyright
So you could check all those files to see which has non-GPL licenses. Knoppix 4.0.2 CD has 1187 such files:
If you only want to remove packages which are non-free by Debians standards, you can start kpackage and see what packages are mentioned in non-free section.Code:knoppix@0[knoppix]$ find /usr/share/doc -name copyright | sort /usr/share/doc/aalib1/copyright /usr/share/doc/ace-of-penguins/copyright /usr/share/doc/acpi/copyright /usr/share/doc/acroread/copyright /usr/share/doc/adduser/copyright /usr/share/doc/aespipe/copyright /usr/share/doc/airsnort/copyright /usr/share/doc/akregator/copyright /usr/share/doc/alevt/copyright /usr/share/doc/alien/copyright ... /usr/share/doc/zip/copyright /usr/share/doc/zlib1g/copyright /usr/share/doc/zlib1g-dev/copyright /usr/share/doc/zr364xx-modules-2.6.12/copyright /usr/share/doc/zydas-modules-2.6.12/copyright /usr/share/doc/3270-common/copyright
For Knoppix 4.0.2 CD there are these packages in non-free:
Code:non-free/admin bluez-firmware non-free/graphics giflib-bin giflib3g non-free/net x3270 3270-common non-free/text acroread non-free/utils lha unarj
Thank you a lot!![]()
Artik
In Knoppix 5.0.1 is package vrms which shows non-free packages. This is what I have in my remastered and hd installed version:Originally Posted by malaire
-tapsa-Code:$ vrms Non-free packages installed on abc avm-firmware AVM firmware bluez-firmware Firmware for Bluetooth devices drdsl DSL Assistant for AVM DSL/ISDN-Controllers giflib-bin programs to convert GIF images giflib3g shared library for GIF images (runtime lib) lha lzh archiver Reason: No modifications allowed, non-network distributions problematic madwifi-modules-2.6.17-be modules for the Multiband Atheros Driver for WiFi (ker madwifi-tools tools for the Multiband Atheros Driver for WiFi mozilla-sun-j2se1.4-binar Sun Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 1.4 Runtime Envir nxclient NoMachine NX - NX Client. openoffice.org2-soikko Oo2-soikko, a Finnish spell-checker and hyphenation fo sun-j2se1.4-jdk-binary Sun Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 1.4 Development K sun-j2se1.4-jre-binary Sun Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 1.4 Runtime Envir tmispell-soikko Ispell-compatible wrapper for Soikko Finnish spell che ttf-xfree86-nonfree non-free TrueType fonts from XFree86 15 non-free packages, 1.1% of 1419 installed packages.
Thanks a lot!
that was exactly what I'm looking for!
Something didn't worked in my case.
Following non-free packages were not found by vrms:
atmel-firmware
avm-firmware
ipw2100-nonfree
ipw2200-nonfree
prism54-nonfree
I'll have to find what is the problem and maybe find alternative way to verify packages.
You are right, it don't seem to work as intended. What about the following:Originally Posted by artik
Then look what every package contains, e.g.Code:dpkg -l | grep nonfree ii ipw2100-nonfree 1.3-1 IPW2100 wireless device firmware files from In ii ipw2200-nonfree 2.4-1 IPW2200 wireless device firmware files from In ii prism54-nonfree 0.1-2 Prism54 wireless card firmware files ii smbconf-pfeifle-nonfree 0.5-2 Binary only/freely distributable files for Kur ii ttf-xfree86-nonfree 4.2.1-3 non-free TrueType fonts from XFree86
And look what copyright file says. Some non-free packages may be used and distributed freely but not modified. Hope they would all be freeCode:dpkg -L ipw2100-nonfree /. /usr /usr/lib /usr/lib/hotplug /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.2.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.2-i.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.2-p.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.3.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.3-i.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100-1.3-p.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ipw2100.fw.LICENSE /usr/share /usr/share/doc /usr/share/doc/ipw2100-nonfree /usr/share/doc/ipw2100-nonfree/copyright /usr/share/doc/ipw2100-nonfree/changelog.Debian.gz
-tapsa-
Yes you right...
But it seems to me that I'll have to build the list of all "true" Debian packages - and see that they are not in "non-free", and the rest of the packages I'll go over the licenses manually to be sure.
I know. But for example I've found some restrictions in avm-firmware. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't have one, so I don't want to go over tens of licenses trying to figure out what restrictions they can add: Can I redestrebute them? Can I sell CDs with them? Can someone that takes the CD redistribute it once more? Do I need add "no reverse engeneering" license agreement? etc...Some non-free packages may be used and distributed freely but not modified.
As you see for very practical reasons, its much easier to distribute GPL software.
So I want Kazit (Hebrew version of Knoppix) will be "free like a speech" and not "free like a beer".
Thanks.
Unfortunately even GPL isn't allways safe.Originally Posted by artik
Linux Kernel is GPL software, but at least some versions seems to include pieces which are illegal to distribute.
One problem which has been discussed recently in debian-vote is about GPLed sourceless firmwares included in Linux Kernel.
According to GPL you clearly can't distribute these firmwares because you don't have source-code for them. Unfortunately there are people who think that this isn't illegal, and so it can happen that Debian Etch will include such firmwares. (I don't know what the situation is with Knoppix.)
More information about this can be found from http://doolittle.icarus.com/~larry/f...ry/2.6.17.html

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99