Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5 & printing: Unable to load the requested drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 5 & printing: Unable to load the requested drive

    Have had problems installing Epson Stylus C62 (local USB connection) in Knoppix 5.0.1

    First, CUPS was not running so I had to start it with (from a root console)
    cupsd
    Second, all attempts using ...
    KMenu | Control Center | Peripherals | Printers
    failed (incl as Admin/root) with this error message or a simple variation ...
    Unable to load the requested driver:
    Unable to create the Foomatic driver [Epson-Stylus_C62,gimp-print]. Either that driver does not exist, or you don't have the required permissions to perform that operation.
    Solution

    I used the web interface through ...
    then followed 'common sense' e.g. Add printer ...

    There was a limited selection (most unlike those offered from the GUI) of drivers e.g.
    Model: Epson Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
    Model: Epson New Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
    Both work very well (col/b&W; text and graphics; hi/lo res) with my Stylus C62

    After the printer was successfully installed through the web interface, I was able to use all the options available from KMenu | Control Center | Peripherals | Printers.

    I now see that someone has suggested using
    foomatic-cleanupdrivers
    for a similar problem and reported success.
    However, I haven't yet tried that.

    Donb

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    Donb:
    I too have the same issue (unable to print using Knoppix v5.0.1 LiveCD).
    Tried everything in your post (& tried all the available drivers listed for my printer) and still cannot print to an HP720c connected to a parallel port on my PC.
    During the setup, Knoppix recognizes that the HP720c is there on the parallel port.

    When I print, I see a message flash (flash message is too fast to read, but it appears to be a message that it has sent the job to the printer). When I check, it shows that the print job completed, but the printer is not receiving it.

    Printing works fine in Windows XP, so I know the hardware is working.

    If you, or others in this forum, have any ideas on how I can make it print, I would be most grateful.

    Thanks,
    wazzy

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    Hello Donb,

    > with this error message or a simple variation ...

    I had the same error message using knoppix 5.0.1 CD english

    > I now see that someone has suggested using foomatic-cleanupdrivers
    > However, I haven't yet tried that.

    I have tried it and it worked.

    Thank you for your hint.

    Bye
    Karl

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to Run Knoppix 5.1.1 from USB Flash Drive
    By Japazo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 09:45 PM
  2. ADSL modem unable test-drive Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2
    By newfellow in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
  3. Fluxbox unable to load wallpaper
    By dr_rude in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 01:37 AM
  4. Unable to load custom config files
    By kha in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 08:13 PM
  5. Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font [Knoppix DVD-Edition]
    By TheCyberDude in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 06:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99