I wonder what happened, I posted this one, but it's showed up as a Guest post....
oh well....
![]()
I use this to transfer files sometimes in a pinch.
It uses the tool netcat which is nc on the command line.
To create a simple single file server:
nc -l -p 1234 < file
This example listens on port 1234 on knoppix, and when
you connect to that port in a browser from another machine, the contents of the file named 'file' are sent to the client.
Here is an example of when I used it to get an excel file.
I went to the directory where the file exists, and typed in:
nc -l -p 1234 < 10.xls
then i go to my browser on the other machine
http://<knoppix-box-ip>:1234
then i let it load (it looked garbled, but thats what the actual text of an excel file looks like if you were to cat it) and I think you have to hit stop after you see it's done.
I then go to file and save, and save it as 10.xls.
I can then open it in excel on the client computer.
I know there are about 1000 different ways I could have grabbed that file, and I can't promise that it will work in your situation, but this is tips & tricks and I think it's a cool trick.
Here are some more netcat tips and tricks.
http://is-it-true.org/pt/ptips21.shtml
Enjoy!![]()
I wonder what happened, I posted this one, but it's showed up as a Guest post....
oh well....
![]()
polish translation of this article / polskie t?umaczenie tego artyku?u :
http://debiandiary.aso.strefa.pl/vie...asc&highlight=
--That is really cool! It only works once per invocation (if the file transfer gets stopped in the middle, netcat craps out; but you could put it in a loop I suppose) but it sure beats having to start up an FTP server for just one file.
--It kind of acts like a mini-http server, but you have to know what to save the file as on the client side.
--Nice hack!
Originally Posted by adamm

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99