Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HDD install under VMWare

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18

    HDD install under VMWare

    Hi, has anybody tried a hdd install of knoppix under VMware on a XP host. Before anyone tells me it's backwards doing it as Knoppix is a live distro and I might aswell just run the cd - I know.

    My workplace will allow me VMware, but not to have linux as my default OS, so I'd rather install Knoppix this way so I can use it and install apps etc.

    I've tried the knoppix-installer and all 'seems' to go well, I use 8gb, 7 for tor the OS and 1 for the swap during partitioning, and save grub to the partition not the mbr.

    When the install is complete, and I reboot under VMware, and set the bios to boot for the virtuall hdd firstt, the system (virtual) just keeps restarting itself - It wont boot into Knoppix.

    It will boot off the cd again no problem, just not the hdd.


    Has anyone successfully tried and got working this setup - A knoppix INSTALLED guest under a XP host?

    I love knoppix and run it at home, but this is doing my head in. Any ideas??


    TIA



    Mors


    *EDIT*

    Just thought, how can I install Reiser/Ext3 to an existing NTFS file system?? I then delete the VMware host at a later date, wont I be left with a great big chunk of a corrupt file system that XP cant read/write to?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Actually, Knoppix 5.0.1 works fine with VMware Workstation 5.5 for windows. But you have to install grub in MBR, not partition.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the reply Ockham But will installing grub to the mbr not ruin the hard drive? I thought you were only to install bootloaders to the partition when installing linux clients under VMware??I cant risk ruining my work machine Does your laptop/pc still boot without grub when you power it on after you did a mbr install?



    Mors

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    By default, VMware will create a virtual hard drive for the virtual Knoppix machine. The virtual hard drive will be stored in an image file, so what I recommended is entirely safe. Although it's possible, you should not allow a virtual machine to write to a physical hard drive.

    Even after installation, you may run into some problems updating the virtual machine because Knoppix isn't designed for hd installation. If you're looking for an installable distribution, download Kanotix, my personal choice.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    pittsburgh
    Posts
    7

    slackware 10.2 as a host.

    So glad I'm not the only one attempting a knoppix hd install w/ VMWare.

    Has anyone tried this with Slackware as the host OS?

    Mors: How did it go?

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    18
    Ockham/linuxchica - Thanks a lot! Installing grub to the MBR worked. Knoppix now boots fine from the hdd

    linuxchica - I just took all the default settings off the knoppix-installer, having a 1gb swap and 7gb main partition, and took the debian like setup as opposed the the knoppix beginner one. The only thing I'd warn you about is trying to install VMware tools - I'm having a right bloody game with it!! Cant get it installed at the moment but I'm sure I'll work it out. VMware tools isn't a must for guest systems, but it is handy.




    Mors

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    pittsburgh
    Posts
    7

    VMWare Tools, Bad OS, Good OS.

    VMWare Tools. The whole virtualization process has been rough thus far. I'm certain that it is just a get it together and it'll be fine and stable kind of thing.
    I'm creating an XP guest machine as I type.

    I'm also starting to question whether or not it's just worth using debian. (I'll admit, it's one distro I don't think I've installed yet.)

    Also, you have your guest machine up and running before you try to install VMWare tools, right? It's a must.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem for install knoppix with VMWare Player
    By HelloEveryBody in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM
  2. VMWARE PLAYER INSTALL
    By birdsixone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
  3. Need to install vmxnet (VMWARE) network driver
    By tossy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
  4. Install under VMWare
    By sz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM
  5. HDD install on VMware
    By ArYeS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00