Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: dd permissions with live cd

  1. #1

    dd permissions with live cd

    I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.

    since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.

    Here are my latest tries in Konsole:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied

    And:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: dd permissions with live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by OpinionatedDrone
    I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.

    since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.

    Here are my latest tries in Konsole:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied

    And:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied
    Try adding sudo before the command, i.e. sudo dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb

Similar Threads

  1. permissions
    By blockHEAD in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM
  2. Permissions
    By n47713 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. Read Write Permissions for HDs from Live CD
    By Curious Dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Permissions
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
  5. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00