Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: dd permissions with live cd

  1. #1

    dd permissions with live cd

    I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.

    since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.

    Here are my latest tries in Konsole:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied

    And:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: dd permissions with live cd

    Quote Originally Posted by OpinionatedDrone
    I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.

    since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.

    Here are my latest tries in Konsole:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied

    And:

    knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
    dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied
    Try adding sudo before the command, i.e. sudo dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb

Similar Threads

  1. permissions
    By blockHEAD in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM
  2. Permissions
    By n47713 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. Read Write Permissions for HDs from Live CD
    By Curious Dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Permissions
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
  5. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



SAMSUMG 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA UA3-11 DDR4 M378A2G43BB3-CWE Memory RAM picture

SAMSUMG 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA UA3-11 DDR4 M378A2G43BB3-CWE Memory RAM

$90.00



SAMSUNG 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz ECC UDIMM RAM 2Rx8 PC4-19200 M391A2K43BB1-CRCQ 288pin picture

SAMSUNG 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz ECC UDIMM RAM 2Rx8 PC4-19200 M391A2K43BB1-CRCQ 288pin

$123.99



Lot of 5 Mixed Brand 16GB DDR4-3200 CL22 UDIMM Desktop RAM (Samsung, SK hynix, M picture

Lot of 5 Mixed Brand 16GB DDR4-3200 CL22 UDIMM Desktop RAM (Samsung, SK hynix, M

$250.00



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00