-
Using AVM Fritz!PCI V1.0/V2.0 with Knoppix 5.0.1(is working)
Since I had quite a hard time to figure out and actually just wanted to scan a winxp system connected to the net via ISDN and AVM Fritz!PCI V1.0/V2.0 with Knoppix 5.0.1 - it is working.
As I only used ISDN under Windows I am not sure if I everything explain right, but like I used to "install driver, configure ISP and dial in" I realized under Knoppix it wouldn't be that easy. I used the german Knoppix 5.0.1 CD (therefore english menu translations maybe inaccurate). PC was a Medion Pentium 4 system with 1 GB or so RAM and Nvidia gfx + the ISDN card.
- boot Knoppix and successful run X
- menu KNOPPIX -> Network / Internet -> ISDN-card configure (Knoppix)
- select "ISDN -Settings View/Edit" + OK
- select "Hardware" + OK, select "AVM Fritz! PCI V1.0/V2.0" + OK, leave the modprobe line untouched + OK, wait for "initialising" (whatever it is showing in %, I never saw 100% though it worked)
- fill in the other fields (self-explaining)
- at last select "Setup save/activate" + OK
- if you get a message from the ISDN-Tool like "The ISDN subsystem isn't initialized yet ..." then go through the step hardware again, otherwise it should say something like "The ISDN subsystem is initialized. ..."
- you get back to the previous menu, select "Connect" + OK
- in the line "Online status" in brackets should be shown something like "ippp0" or similar, if "offline, no driver loaded" then something is wrong here already
- select "ISDN-Subsystem run/start" + OK and wait some seconds
- select "Show online status" + OK, it opens Imon in a terminal window
- if you see 2 channels (offline) everything is ok - if you see "No channels found!" then hardware config maybe wrong
- open another terminal session and type "sudo /etc/init.d/isdnutils start" + ENTER, should only print "Starting ISDN services ..." (this step is actually already done but I make it to go safe), if you see error messages like "Can't open ..." then something again is wrong
- to try dialing your isp type "isdnctrl dial ippp0", one channel in the Imon window should get online / busy
- if it gets only for a second a connection then telephone number or isp data could be wrong, need to edit
- try to go online with Firefox, you should get an internet connection
- or download f-prot and let do its job
My experience is that if the ISDN subsystem is properly initalized the applications "itself" dial in, I used "isdnctrl dial ippp0" just for checking the connection. If there is more bandwith needed even the 2nd channel gets automatically opened (and closed), really nice. Since I am new to Linux/Knoppix this behaviour is quite new to me: I do not see any graphical feedback if the ISDN is working properly "under the hood".
Sven
Similar Threads
-
By ockham23 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2006, 12:32 AM
-
By lutzweber in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 01:31 PM
-
By unno in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 06:30 PM
-
By maximAL in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
-
By sturmmoewe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99