From what I can see, knoppix does not come with the kernel source
(only headerfiles). You can get the source via ftp from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 or via http from
www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 .
I installed knoppix 5.0 on my pc and i thought to compile the kernel cos it doesn't recognize a lot of things of my pc. It doesn't recognize my USB webcam, it doesn't open a new windows for pen drive, it undestand when a CD is inside the reader but don't allow me to see the content and so on. I tried to compile the kernel to solve the problem, but when i try to do it, i receive:
root@LinuxBox:/usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such
file or directory
Makefile:403: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or
directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop.
When i use xconfig, the answer is similar. What can i do to solve my problem with Hardware? what can i do to compile the kernel?
From what I can see, knoppix does not come with the kernel source
(only headerfiles). You can get the source via ftp from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 or via http from
www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6 .
The 2 links are full and i haven't enought experience to understand what i have to download.![]()
I want the kernel 2.6.17, what file have i to download?
Can linux-2.6.17.tar.bz2 be right?![]()
You probably want the latest (because of fixed bugs), that would be
linux-2.6.17.8.tar.bz2 .
As you mention your inexperience, let me add a few points.
Make a directory in /opt, e.g. linuxsrc, and download the tar.bz2
to that directory. "tar xjf linux-2.6.17.8.tar.bz2" there produces
a further direcory linux-2.6.17.8 . Now make a link to this new
directory: "ln -s linux-2.6.17.8 linux".
"cd linux" and "make menuconfig". menuconfig needs libncurses5,
which you may have to install with apt-get (or similar).
Now, the next time someone fixes some bugs in the kernel there
will be a linux-2.6.17.9 which you DON'T want to download - you
already have 99% of it. Instead you download "patch-2.6.17.9.bz2"
to linuxsrc. For this one time you also get the patch 2.6.17.8 .
Then you cd to linux and do this:
bzip2 -dc ../patch-2.6.17.8.bz2 | patch -Rp1
bzip2 -dc ../patch-2.6.17.9.bz2 | patch -p1
Basically, this first strips 2.6.17.8 down to 2.6.17, then upgrades
to 2.6.17.9. This is because a patch applies to the "basic" kernel
version.
Have fun!
I am sorrow to say u that i don't find in the two links of kernel source the file:
patch-2.6.17.9.bz2
have i to replace it with:
patch-2.6.17.8.bz2 ?
My teachers at university said me to compile the kernel to solve the problems about hardware. Do u agree with them? here knoppix is blocked with CD/DVR reader/writer, pendrive and so on.
bye bye.
No wonder you can't find 2.6.17.9 - it's not there yet
I meant this for the (near) future.
And yes, I agree with your teachers. I'd recommend you to
ask them to guide you through your first steps - it *can* be
confusing even for a not-so-beginner.
Well i'll check the two links to find the patch of kernel 2.6.17.9![]()
I'll tried to use xconfig, but yesterday it didn't started, menuconfig started but i didn't do changes cos i was very tired, i'll try today.
My teachers will not help me again cos i ended university 2 mounths ago so u'll find my topics on this Forum.![]()
Has Linux a great diffusion in Germany? here less people use it. I think the problem is they are lazy to seek to solve the problems.![]()
I am near the end.
After "make menuconfig" i did:
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cd arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /boot
Now i have to configure the boot loader to load the new kernel. What have i to do?
Were the instructions before right?
Hello,
I hope that you are successful with your kernel rebuild but if it does not solve your problems with hardware recognition I suggest you try Kanotix http://kanotix.com/changelang-ita.html.
Knoppix is difficult to install to a hard drive because it is really meant for use as a Live CD. Kanotix is a better choice if you plan for hard drive installation.
Good Luck!

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95