-
dd permissions with live cd
I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.
since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.
Here are my latest tries in Konsole:
knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied
And:
knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: dd permissions with live cd

Originally Posted by
OpinionatedDrone
I am trying to copy a .img backup file of my hard drive using knoppix live cd, however, every time I try to us the dd command, I get an "Access Denied" message. I have tried changing the permissions of the drive, as in the FAQ, however, this does not seem to have an effect.
since it is the entire HDD image, I would like to dump the data (dd) to a raw 'hdb' rather than a partition 'hdb1'. I don't care if I erase the current content of the drive.
Here are my latest tries in Konsole:
knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
dd: opening '/dev/hdb' : Permission denied
And:
knoppix@1[sdb1]$ dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb1
dd: opening '/dev/hdb1' : Permission denied
Try adding sudo before the command, i.e. sudo dd if=./backup.img of=/dev/hdb
Similar Threads
-
By blockHEAD in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM
-
By n47713 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
-
By Curious Dave in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-26-2006, 04:25 AM
-
By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
-
By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM
$10.99

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

SKhynix 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-5600B PC Laptop Memory RAM HMCG78AGBSA092N
$300.00
![[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture](/store/img/g/qNwAAeSwPEtqobcJ/s-l225/-BULK-LOT-OF-10-8GB-DDR3-LAPTOP-RAM-SAMSUNG-HYNIX-.jpg)
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.
$89.99

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16
$70.99

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99

16GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM Kit (2x8GB) PC3-10600 240-Pin Desktop Memory Module
$65.99