Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Compaq v4000 Broadcom 4318 'Can't find networks'

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    Compaq v4000 Broadcom 4318 'Can't find networks'

    I am a little more than a day new with linux/Knoppix and am having trouble accessing the internet. I am not able to try wired access yet but will tomorrow. I first used KWiFiManager and it could not find a network. I did some searching on the forum and elsewhere.

    I set up using wlcardconfig
    netcardconfig fails finding 'no such file or directory.
    pump -i eth0 fails

    That is all that I can remember trying. I tried a few other I believe. I really want to get this working as I would like to make the switch to linux.

    Thank you for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I think in your case the wifi connection is eth1 not eth0.

    From the root shell, check what your network devices are"up" (i.e. activated) with the command: ifconfig
    Then see whether there any other network devices which are available but "down" with: ifconfig -a

    If you find for example the wifi device is eth1 and it does not show up in ifconfig, then this means it could be "down". In this case, bring it up with: ifconfig eth1 up

    Then do the other steps like you have done below.

    You will probably have more luck with wired access, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Log on to password protected wireless networks?
    By foxdog27 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 02:22 AM
  2. Wireless Networks in Knoppix
    By nnigam in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
  3. Broadcom 4318 with Knoppix 5.01 will it work?
    By rrolsbe in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 04:34 PM
  4. Linux NTFS and Win 2000 Networks
    By mike engles in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:26 AM
  5. Wireless Networks
    By lindleyrl in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W picture

TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W

$24.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Brocade ICX6450-24 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch W/ Ears picture

Brocade ICX6450-24 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch W/ Ears

$74.99