Well, I was originally using Knoppix to try and fix it because I had some sort of hardware problem and was receiving a stop error when the Windows Installation/Recovery CD finished booting up.Originally Posted by Jacky
So, I decided to take my HDD with me to work. I got it to boot up with the Windows disc and Knoppix. However, using gpart (knoppix) and then fixmbr (windows disc) didn't end up working. I was getting the message "Missing operating system." So, after tinkering for a bit I ended up using the Windows disc to create a fresh install of Windows XP at the beginning of the HDD. I got that working. Then I tried to mark the old XP partition active with Windows Disk Management; which messed it up. So, I deleted the new XP partiton, recreated it, and then installed it again. I got it working at work, created new user accounts for my family, and was just generally excited.
Brought it home and now Windows is restarting itself before it even starts to load. It then takes me to the advanced boot options where it lists Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc. I've chosen everything and it appears to be booting, flashes what appears to be the blue screen of death/stop error for one second, and then restarts. I tried using the Windows disc and receive the same STOP error. However, Knoppix is now booting up perfectly fine.
I've come to the conclusion that it's a hardware problem, but don't think my family will buy it as it was working okay before hand (with the exception of the random reboots from time to time). I know that support for STOP errors is pretty minimal and not very thorough.
If you all have any suggestions please let me know. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice and help thus far.Originally Posted by Jacky
P.S. I got to reset the admin password on the XP installation with my Knoppix disc. Very useful software, but there's a bit of a learning curve as it's not as intuitive as XP....just my opinion.

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor
$225.00
NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00
Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00