Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: saving preferences

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5
    Thnx for replies!


    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>
    During the boot process is knoppix reading from your floppy?

    <snip>
    knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config
    </snip>

    instead try:

    knoppix vrefresh=60 floppyconfig

    Note: floppyconfig is one word. As far as the boot commands, knoppix tells the boot manager which kernel to boot (only list it once), the boot options are listed after that, the order of the boot options shouldn't matter.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<



    Ya'vule, floppy is read and I've tried almost every combination of boot command. Sometimes I'll boot to black screen (can hear initializiation babe ) otherwise when I load I'll get a screenshot with no saved configuration. Boot screen shows floppy being mounted , but I'm always startin' fresh??????????? (ie: no saved config)

    Any more help???

  2. #12
    Trollo
    Guest
    Had the same problem for a long time. Tried everything without any success.

    I found the following solution:

    If there is any empty field in the network configuration (i.e. DHCP-Broadcast, DNS-Server - if you don't have any), the configuration file from the floppy is not executed at all. You can see a message during booting.

    Therefore nothing (!) is configured after that. No network, no printer etc.

    Make sure that all fields in the network configuration are filled (may be with the default values) and voilą the configuration file from the floppy is executed properly. That is how it works for me (thanks god).

    May be it helps others, too.

    regards
    Trollo

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4
    I have to configure everything differently from the defaults in my network configuration and that didn't help me unfortunately

    ...I'm running round the desktop now making configuration changes to everything in the hope I trip something that will make it read the file on the disk (which it says it can't find on bootup... but it's definately there).

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4
    Oooh... the other thing I was gonna add was /mnt/floppy/knoppix.sh restores my preferences, at least as far as keyboard and network ones go - so (assumming knoppix floppyconfig is the right command)... what's wrong with it!

    (the reason I'd like it to work further than this on bootup is for things like desktop icons which it doesn't change when run whilst in the OS, otherwise i'd be happy with this)

  5. #15
    Guest
    Any suggestions? I recommended knoppix to people on a forum I use regularly and everyone seems to be stuck with this.

  6. #16
    jim worrest
    Guest

    Blank screens and floppyconf

    I have one computer which Knoppix works quite well, but it didn't at first. All I got was a
    blank screen until I reduced the resolution to 800x600. the floppyconfig seems to remember
    most everything --- except my floppy icon! I usually tell it to store the settings before I sign off
    and then don't save them at the very end when it asks or has the checkmark to save the
    settings, perhaps that was my problem in loosing the floppy icon?
    Anyway, so far it has been doing some things for me that my older versions of Linux won't
    so I'm glad that Knoppix is around.



    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Any suggestions? I recommended knoppix to people on a forum I use regularly and everyone seems to be stuck with this.

  7. #17
    another guest
    Guest
    Any suggestions? I recommended knoppix to people on a forum I use regularly and everyone seems to be stuck with this.
    I'm a seriously green newbie at this, myself. After less than a week of playing with Knoppix (1.20.03 release), it appears to me that the floppy configuration is used only when I turn off hardware detection. This works for me:

    knoppix floppyconfig failsafe

    It also works when using persistent home.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by knopken
    A little help, please. I'm sure I'm saving and booting the config file correctly - still won't load any saved preferences . The floppy shows proper files. Is there an alternative to using GUI Knoppix>save config??

    I've booted with knoppix vrefresh=60 knoppix floppy config and have tried all various combinations.
    Thanks.
    I'm embarrassed to say the simple mistake I made but I misread the check boxes. (the ones that show up after you click save configuration) I thought I had all of them checked, when in reality I had all of them un-checked! Don't know if anyone else has done this but it solved my problem, perhaps it will help someone else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
  2. Saving Konqueror Preferences
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 04:17 AM
  3. Edit linuxrc and change the user preferences....knoppix 3.4
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 11:20 PM
  4. preferences on floppy?
    By fourtrackmind in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:20 AM
  5. Xterm : getting preferences to stick
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Ultra Series

$235.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99