Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: remove sound messages on boot (and some more qestions)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19

    remove sound messages on boot (and some more qestions)

    Hello,

    How can I remove the booting/shutdown sound message - it is localised version so I don't
    need such message in english and I prefare to remove it at all.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Starting sound:
    Comment out following lines in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession:
    Code:
    # playsound(){
    # Play sound if soundcore module present (checking /dev/sndstat is unreliable)
    # OGGPLAY=/usr/bin/ogg123
    # PLAY=/usr/bin/wavp
    # [ -x "$PLAY" ] || PLAY=/usr/bin/play-sample
    # [ -x "$PLAY" ] || PLAY=/usr/bin/play
    # if [ -x "$OGGPLAY" -a -f /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg ]; then
    # case "$(lsmod)" in *sound*) { $OGGPLAY -q -p 64 /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg >/
    # elif [ -f /usr/share/sounds/startup.wav -a -x "$PLAY" ]; then
    # case "$(lsmod)" in *sound*) { $PLAY /usr/share/sounds/startup.wav >/dev/null 2>&
    # fi
    # }
    I think these lines are 113-124 in Knoppix 5.0.1. Comment out also line 128 (playsound) if you are using KDE:
    Code:
    startkde(){
    # Play sound
    # playsound
    Perhaps the last one is enough if you use KDE only.

    Shutting down:
    Comment out lines 210-220 from [b]/etc/init.d/xsession[/xsession/b[] (Knoppix 5.0.1):
    Code:
    # Play informational sound if soundcore module present
    # (checking /dev/sndstat is unreliable)
    OGGPLAY=/usr/bin/ogg123
    PLAY=/usr/bin/wavp
    [ -x "$PLAY" ] || PLAY=/usr/bin/play-sample
    [ -x "$PLAY" ] || PLAY=/usr/bin/play
    if [ -x "$OGGPLAY" -a -f /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.ogg ]; then
    case "$(</proc/modules)" in *sound*|*snd_*) { $OGGPLAY -q -p 64 /usr/share/sound
    elif [ -f /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.wav -a -x "$PLAY" ]; then
    case "$(</proc/modules)" in *sound*|*snd_*) { $PLAY /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.w
    fi
    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    Thank you a lot!
    It seems to work!

    Some more questions
    I had a problem with several user preferences I had defined - several were not copied from /etc/skel at all.
    The problem was with folder with premissions like xrw----- (private for example the one of gaim). Looking for the problem
    I've found that script that copies the files from skel runs with user privilagies (knoppix) thus it CAN NOT copy files with
    these permissions.

    So I've changed the line
    Code:
    rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.kde*,Desktop} $HOME/
    to
    Code:
    sudo rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/ $HOME/ 
    sudo chown -R "$USER:$USER" $HOME/
    It seems to work now but it looks like an ugly hack. Can there be any problem with that? Why knoppix user do not added with adduser??? This would solve permissions problems like this and do the stuff in more "correct" way.

    Mounting hard disks with correct charset
    In order to mount the discks with correct charset I've changed the paramerers for vfat/msdos/ntfs mounting partisions in knoppix-autoconfig. However it should work for HD only and not for disk on key with vfat partitions. Is there any more correct way to setup default charrecter encodings for vfat/ntfs?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by artik
    s there any more correct way to setup default charrecter encodings for vfat/ntfs?
    Fat partitionins should be mounted with option 'iocharset=utf8' if you are using utf8. I think the best way to solve the problem is compile that directly to the kernel as I have done, see: http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix...7-beyond3-SMP/. If you like to test my kernel, please notice, that I have used vesa-tng instead of vesa. So vga modes (as 'vga=791') can't be used any more - you must use video modes instead (as 'video=vesafb:1024x768-32').


    -tapsa-

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    No - thanks, kernel compilation is too much for me
    Anyway the changes I did not not help the charset parametes are not added.
    what is the script chat creates /etc/fstab?



    EDIT:
    sorry, solved - required script was found in /usr/sbin/rebuildfstab

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    And one more question (sorry for too many).

    What is the script that creates HD icons on the desktop - I want to translate "hard disk".

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons

    -tapsa-

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19
    tapsa,

    thank you a lot,
    I'm very close to finish the work, you had helped me a lot in my work, and I doubght if I could finish it without your help.

    Thank You a lot for Your great and professional help,

    Artik

Similar Threads

  1. Where are the boot messages?
    By Jaromba in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
  2. Help Knoppix boot messages
    By Avenger in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
  3. Is there any way to create a log of all boot-up messages?
    By scruffyeagle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
  4. /var/log/messages nearly empty, missing INIT script messages
    By brian dorling in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:01 PM
  5. Boot Messages
    By schnarff in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY picture

HP ProLiant 460 Series G7 Blade 2x Xeon E5649 2.53Ghz w/ 16Gb DR3, No HD, QTY

$74.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08