-

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
thaumielx722
Telling users new to Linux that this simple task will Break their Operating System is, in my opinion, a great advertisement for M$.
Are you a troll or are you just refusing to pay attention? This has nothing to do with Linux, it has to do with Knoppix. Knoppix is a Live CD. There are plenty of warning on thiis site, including
this one and the warning that Jacky just gave you that caution that Knoppix was designed to run from the CD, not to be installed on hard disk. Don't go bad mouthing all of Linux just because you want to ignore these warnings.
If you want a system that you can install cleanly and add programs and drivers to, then use a version of Linux that is intended for hard disk install, such as Debian. If you want a Live CD then many of us feel that Knoppix is great for that purpose. If you insist that you can install to hard disk a system intended to be a live CD then good luck to you, but don't be a jerk and start saying that because your bad choice results in known problems that Windows is somehow better than Linux.
I seem to have struck a raw nerve here, so I apologize.
First off: it was a serious question, answered by a user and I reponded. If this is a problem for the community then I will go in peace. I have indeed read the warnings and installed the Debian-like system as recommended. I am obviously learning Linux from Knoppix and, as I clearly mentioned, plan to place a real Debian system there as soon as possible.
I started in Computers with college courses in 1979. I was the main go-to guy when the PC revolution started in 1981 and by 1983 I was the one who set up all PC's for the (brand new) users. I worked full time for a school district - the administration at first, then eventually for the teachers at the high school. I also did the same job part time at a local hospital and eventually did some temp work for a large DP office for a major international company. There was a lot of hand holding for people who looked at a "Computer Machine" on their precious desks as if it were a rattlesnake.
My point being: If I were as sensitive to even constructive criticism then I would have had a nervous breakdown many years ago and would have joined the Amish community away from all this new-fangled technology.
As for your other "point": The "bad mouthing" appears to be coming from one direction. Kindly tell me what the inaccurate part of my post was. I was, as I said, trying to update a graphics driver.
I remember recieving a free trial diskette of something called "Microsoft Windows version 1.0" in 1983 (maybe it was 1984, it's been a while...) and, in amusement, tried it on a few desktops. My opinion of Windows XP is still the first impression I had back then, over 20 years ago. i do not trust them.
(On a side note: Linux reminds me a lot of some of the old IBM mainframe operating systems. If memory serves me correctly a lot of Linux commands appear similar to IBM console commands. I believe CHMOD, for instance was what IBM callled the same command on their new VMS systems. But it was a Beta site, so I don't know if IBM ever really went public with that particular operating system. It was supposed to work with Supercomputer technology, using huge air conditioners to cool the processors down to almost absolute zero. I have heard nothing about it in the years since. But I am curious if perhaps old Linus Torvald may have run across the system in his travels. I believe they were intended some of that new OS to be used for academic mahines. Part of their new [at that time] Token Ring network, using IBM PC's as terminals connected to a central mainframe.)
Peace.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00