Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Run scripts from floppy at boot

  1. #1

    Run scripts from floppy at boot

    Hi!

    I am experimenting with a knoppix router running the live cd. I could easily remaster a cd tailored to my network configuration (I use that term loosely as I have yet to remaster a cd) but I would like it if I could make my image a little more versatile than just tailored to my immediate needs especially if at any time I need to change my network configuration. I read somewhere that it's possible to write some bash configuration scripts (such as commands to set eth0 to a certain ip address, etc.) on a floppy disk and then have those commands executed when the system boots. This would give me the flexability I'm looking for I think. I didn't write down the forums I saw that on though and can't find them again. Does anyone have some pointers on how I can do this or can perhaps point me in the direction of a howto on it? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Just create a script called knoppix.sh on the floppy and then use knoppix floppyconfig when booting the LiveCD.

    This and some other boot-options are listed at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes, or in a file KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in your Knoppix CD/DVD.

  3. #3
    Ok, I'll do that. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    I am trying to use knoppix.sh in the main image (basically the same function as putting one on floppy).

    The script gets pickup and run when I boot but it not doing what I expect. This is probably because I dont know what state knoppix is in at that point and what environment the script is running in.

    Since the script is outside the KNOPPIX compressed system who can I refer to, say, the /opt directory of the live system.

    I want my script to untar some data into the fresh system before X starts.

    This would seem to be the place to do it I just dont know the relative path to live system.

    TIA.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    PS , I forgot that the script that I need to run needs some user keyboard input and it would be helpful to see the console at this point.

    any suggestions ?

Similar Threads

  1. Running commands & shell scripts automatically at boot
    By sunburnt in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 05:39 PM
  2. Boot script to run my scripts?...PROBLEM SOLVED
    By sunburnt in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:13 PM
  3. remaster scripts require boot.img - none on Knoppix 3.6
    By acer0001 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
  4. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED. picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED.

$214.99