Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: System hangs while mounting hda1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4

    System hangs while mounting hda1

    I'm attempting to use Knoppix 5.01 to rescue files from an ailing WinXP partition. In the middle of copying files, the system hung. Since then, whenever I try to mount hda1 to finish the job, Knoppix hangs again. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Hi,

    I will need some more information to understand your problem before I can offer any advice. 1) What kinds of files were you copying over -- large or small files, and how many files? 2) to which destination were you copying -- what kind of media, and what was the file-system on the media? 3) how did you do the copying -- what program or command did you use? 4) when you say "whenever I try to mount hda1 to finish the job, Knoppix hangs again", do you mean it hangs immediately on mounting, always at the same point of a copy operation, or at some different point? 5) files which were copied over before the hang -- are they visible in the new location?

    Sorry if I am asking for so much info, but there are many many reasons why the copying operation could hang. A common one with ailing disks is attempting to copy a file from a part of a disk which has a bad sector..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4
    1) I was copying my Documents and Settings folder, so it was a large number and wide variety of files. I believe it froze while in the middle of copying an mp3 file.
    2) I was copying to an FAT partition on an 80GB Iomega portable HD.
    3) I'm not entirely certain. I believe I just did a drag-and-drop of the folder.
    4) It hangs while in the process of mounting. The dialog that displays the progress mounting the drive pops up, and it hangs at 0%.
    5) Some are, and some are not. Files I specifically remember being copied are not there, but some of the files are.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    4) It hangs while in the process of mounting. The dialog that displays the progress mounting the drive pops up, and it hangs at 0%.
    I have not encountered this kind of 0% progress error message during a mount command before. It looks more like a copy operation hanging at 0%.
    May I suggest that you try to mount hda1on the command line instead, and see what sort of error messages you get. Open up a root shell and explicitly mount hda1 read-only with:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 -o ro
    If this works, you should get back to the command prompt. If not you should get a useful error message. If it works, then mount your IOMEGA disk, which should be sda1 or something like that. Remember to mount it as read-write. You can check what has been mount by simply issuing the command
    Code:
    mount
    If you successfully mount both the source and the destination drives, then try copying a few files at a time instead of dragging a whole folder across.

Similar Threads

  1. hda1 Mounting Trouble
    By iamchachi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 11:35 AM
  2. i am very depressed! rt2500 hangs system
    By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
  3. System Hangs on Booting and Shutdown
    By rossi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
  4. system hangs while booting
    By macrojen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 05:43 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72