-
Junior Member
registered user
Problems connecting with Wireless
I have an old Compaq presario 1279, designed for windows 98, so I'm not sure on its exact age, but its old
.
And I have an SMC Networks EZ Connect Wireless card.
Running Knoppix 4.
After much trouble I figured out how to make it connect to networks that I want, and KWifiManager says this
Connected to network: 2WIRE258
access point: 00:13:95:74:A6:61
local ip: unavailable
frequency [channel]: 2.437 [6]
encryption:
Signal Strength 100
I would use wired, but my card for the ethernet adapter is broken, plus wireless would be nice.
Anyways, so it says its connected, i have an unavailable ip, and I cant open any websites.
What do i do now? I'd like to be able to connect to irc, msn, and the web, but I cant :\
-
Senior Member
registered user
You are quite close to making it work.
You have detected the access point. Assuming your access point has DHCP activated, now you need to ask the access point DHCP server to give you an IP address. Go to the Knoppix menu (the Penguin), select Network/Internet -> Network card configuration. You may have to select your wireless device (probably eth0 or eth1 or something like that). It will ask you "Use DHCP Broadcast?" Select yes. This should get you an IP address from the access point. After this, test to see if you can connect to the internet.
-
Junior Member
registered user
the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router
any other ideas?
-

Originally Posted by
pf123
the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router
any other ideas?

pf123,
same problem even here...
Trying with an old HP Notebook on a D-LINK DWL-G650 WiFi card. The system works under Windows XP but not in Knoppix.
By setting the card IP address through Network card configurator I can see the router using KWiFi Manager. Unfortunately I still see Local IP as unavailable and I am not able to ping even the router....
Anyone can direct us to some how to instructions ?!?
Thank you a lot in advance,
Ugo Grandolini
Knoppix 5.0.1 CD
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
By searching this forum and google with "knoppix dhcp fails" and knoppix got IP cannot connect to internet", discovered many useful hints. Try them out and see if they work.
It seems many people have experience such things. Some explanations are that it could be the non-standard DHCP of the router. I have also seen a few cases of people who got an IP (either manually or by DHCP) and then cannot connect to the internet. In some cases, the users reported that they could connect using Konqueror but not through Firefox.
[/url]
-
I am using Knoppix 5.0 and I cannot get Knoppix to recognize my wireless card.
Any ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'll need some information to be able to help you.
Which wireless card are you using and what symptoms do you observe when you try to boot up? Does Knoppix hang during the autoconfig or do you boot up successfully and just cannot connect? If you can boot up, what do you see when you type this command: ifconfig -a?
Similar Threads
-
By Magnus_L in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-05-2008, 05:05 AM
-
By Dman87 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
-
By Vishwas.Bhat in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:21 AM
-
By rhami01 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:32 PM
-
By Faeranicus in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

Parceiro 1.1 Black Edition for Amiga 1000, 8MB Fast RAM, RTC, 16GB SD, Tested
$249.99

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested
$225.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC
$52.99

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2
$75.00

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99