Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problems connecting with Wireless

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10

    Problems connecting with Wireless

    I have an old Compaq presario 1279, designed for windows 98, so I'm not sure on its exact age, but its old .
    And I have an SMC Networks EZ Connect Wireless card.
    Running Knoppix 4.

    After much trouble I figured out how to make it connect to networks that I want, and KWifiManager says this
    Connected to network: 2WIRE258
    access point: 00:13:95:74:A6:61
    local ip: unavailable
    frequency [channel]: 2.437 [6]
    encryption:
    Signal Strength 100


    I would use wired, but my card for the ethernet adapter is broken, plus wireless would be nice.
    Anyways, so it says its connected, i have an unavailable ip, and I cant open any websites.
    What do i do now? I'd like to be able to connect to irc, msn, and the web, but I cant :\

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    You are quite close to making it work.

    You have detected the access point. Assuming your access point has DHCP activated, now you need to ask the access point DHCP server to give you an IP address. Go to the Knoppix menu (the Penguin), select Network/Internet -> Network card configuration. You may have to select your wireless device (probably eth0 or eth1 or something like that). It will ask you "Use DHCP Broadcast?" Select yes. This should get you an IP address from the access point. After this, test to see if you can connect to the internet.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router

    any other ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pf123
    the dhcp fails :S...i tried doing it manually with the same network card config, but not clicking use dhcp, i get an ip assigned (which i assigned myself) but internet pages still dont work, and I assigned it an ip within the dhcp range of my router

    any other ideas?
    pf123,

    same problem even here...

    Trying with an old HP Notebook on a D-LINK DWL-G650 WiFi card. The system works under Windows XP but not in Knoppix.

    By setting the card IP address through Network card configurator I can see the router using KWiFi Manager. Unfortunately I still see Local IP as unavailable and I am not able to ping even the router....

    Anyone can direct us to some how to instructions ?!?

    Thank you a lot in advance,

    Ugo Grandolini
    Knoppix 5.0.1 CD

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    Hi,

    By searching this forum and google with "knoppix dhcp fails" and knoppix got IP cannot connect to internet", discovered many useful hints. Try them out and see if they work.

    It seems many people have experience such things. Some explanations are that it could be the non-standard DHCP of the router. I have also seen a few cases of people who got an IP (either manually or by DHCP) and then cannot connect to the internet. In some cases, the users reported that they could connect using Konqueror but not through Firefox.



    [/url]

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1
    I am using Knoppix 5.0 and I cannot get Knoppix to recognize my wireless card.

    Any ideas?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    117
    I'll need some information to be able to help you.

    Which wireless card are you using and what symptoms do you observe when you try to boot up? Does Knoppix hang during the autoconfig or do you boot up successfully and just cannot connect? If you can boot up, what do you see when you type this command: ifconfig -a?

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting to My Wireless Network In Knoppix
    By Magnus_L in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 05:05 AM
  2. connecting to wireless from knoppix
    By Dman87 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM
  3. Connecting, using Huawei Quidway WA1003A wireless modem
    By Vishwas.Bhat in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:21 AM
  4. Problems connecting w/ Orinoco card
    By rhami01 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 06:32 PM
  5. Problems connecting to the net
    By Faeranicus in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19

IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys

$549.95