in my opinion i would check with another version of knoppix and some other bootCD.
and i would also mae a check of the filesystem and check what the SMART tools say.
If this is the wrong forum, please forgive me. Here's the story:
A friend was having trouble with her Windows XP Home Edition, which would not boot properly. When I learned that she had not made ANY backups of any of her files, I brought around my Knoppix DVD and USB stick, and booted into Knoppix. During the boot process, I saw an error message, which reoccurred on shutdown. I took a photo with my phone (hence the poor quality), and wondered if it indicates problems with the help of the drive "sda2". Although Knoppix did boot, when I went to mount sda2 in order to copy her files onto my USB stick, I got a message saying something like: "volume dirty -forcing progress", after which the mounting was successful and I was able to rescue her files onto my USB stick. Here is the error message:
http://maxqnzs.com/screenshots/error-1.jpg
Am I correct in thinking that all is not well with her HD?
in my opinion i would check with another version of knoppix and some other bootCD.
and i would also mae a check of the filesystem and check what the SMART tools say.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer
$72.00
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works
$148.75
Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76
Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer System w/ AC Adap - Powers On -UNTESTED
$84.99
Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 400 800 The Communicator II Kit CIB CX488 Modem Cartridge Box
$80.00
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29