Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Bootsplash in Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13

    Bootsplash in Live CD

    Hi

    I have remastered Knoppix 5 and now i will use a bootsplash. The problems begin here. I found many threads about bootsplash in this forum but nothing like a howto or a good explanation.

    I have patched the kernel with bootplash patch and added something to linuxrc (look here:http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20410).

    But no bootplash at boot.

    I have read about fbsplash but patch seems not to work with my kernel. (gentoo only?)

    I have tried the "splash" command at bootpromt but nothing is happen.

    I have tried "splashy" but it is no Howto available how to do this on a live CD (http://splashy.alioth.debian.org/wiki/doku.php)

    I will add a bootsplash to a live cd. How is this possible?

    Thx

    Linuxgamer

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    I'm working with the same problem. But I want to go a little futher and use fbsplash http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash instead of bootsplash.

    My problem is with kernel configuration. Now I don't have
    Code:
    # Bootsplash configuration
    #
    CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH=y
    but
    Code:
    CONFIG_FB_SPLASH=y
    I donwloaded a Morphix distro from http://www.morphix.org/ I compared my live-autoconfig with knoppix-autoconfig and made changed needed for bootsplash. I also gunzipped miniroot.gz and look differences between my version and Morphix version. There is a new directory /bootsplash and new file /static/splash. You need those both and linuxrc must also be modified to use splash.

    If you use traditional bootsplash, now you splash image should be seen very early at the boot time (before init). Don't forget to add line splash=silent in your command line. And if you use Morphix's way, you have 5 different splash images

    If your splash image is not seen, check first
    Code:
    cat /proc/splash
    You should get something like this:
    Code:
    Splash screen v3.1.6-2004/03/31 (0x7, 1024x768): on
    But my problem. I have compiled my kernel with beyond patchset, see http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html. So I'm waiting for someone to get gensplash to be used with live-CD with fbsplash. I have not succeeded, yet

    Any help is appreciated very much.

    If someone don't know differences between bootsplash and fbsplash, see page http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/faq.php


    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13
    Hi

    Do you think it is possible to mix morphix way with the old bootplash? What does morphix use?

    How did you get the knoppix-autoconfig from Morphix? What did you merged wiht you all, pices?

    When i try to patch my kernel with fbsplash patch i get the error:

    tar jxf linux-2.6.17.8.tar.bz2
    cd linux
    cp ../fbsplash-0.9.2-r5-2.6.18-rc4.patch ./
    patch -p1 < fbsplash-0.9.2-r5-2.6.18-rc4.patch

    patching file Documentation/fb/00-INDEX
    patching file Documentation/fb/splash.txt
    patching file drivers/Makefile
    patching file drivers/video/Kconfig
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 1473 (offset -143 lines).
    patching file drivers/video/Makefile
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 7 with fuzz 2 (offset -6 lines).
    patching file drivers/video/cfbsplash.c
    patching file drivers/video/console/bitblit.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 18 (offset 1 line).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 56 (offset 1 line).
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 388 (offset 1 line).
    patching file drivers/video/console/fbcon.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 93 (offset 2 lines).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 109 (offset 2 lines).
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 299 (offset -2 lines).
    Hunk #4 succeeded at 405 (offset -5 lines).
    Hunk #5 succeeded at 570 (offset -6 lines).
    Hunk #6 succeeded at 975 (offset -9 lines).
    Hunk #7 succeeded at 1063 (offset -10 lines).
    Hunk #8 succeeded at 1204 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #9 succeeded at 1228 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #10 succeeded at 1252 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #11 succeeded at 1731 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #12 succeeded at 1819 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #13 succeeded at 1963 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #14 succeeded at 2040 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #15 succeeded at 2078 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #16 succeeded at 2115 (offset -63 lines).
    Hunk #17 succeeded at 2155 with fuzz 2 (offset -61 lines).
    Hunk #18 succeeded at 2262 (offset -62 lines).
    Hunk #19 succeeded at 2425 (offset -54 lines).
    Hunk #20 succeeded at 2558 (offset -54 lines).
    Hunk #21 succeeded at 2584 (offset -54 lines).
    Hunk #22 succeeded at 2852 (offset -54 lines).
    Hunk #23 FAILED at 3299.
    1 out of 23 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/video/console/fbcon.c.rej
    patching file drivers/video/fbcmap.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 16 with fuzz 1 (offset 1 line).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 236 (offset 1 line).
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 254 (offset 1 line).
    patching file drivers/video/fbsplash.c
    patching file drivers/video/fbsplash.h
    patching file include/linux/console_splash.h
    patching file include/linux/console_struct.h
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 14 (offset -1 lines).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 98 (offset -1 lines).
    patching file include/linux/fb.h
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 8 (offset -1 lines).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 42 (offset -1 lines).
    Hunk #3 succeeded at 784 (offset -16 lines).
    patching file include/linux/sysctl.h
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 150.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file include/linux/sysctl.h.rej
    patching file kernel/sysctl.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 89 (offset -1 lines).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 412 (offset 2 lines).

    root@kein Ausgabegerät[linux]#
    How can i fix this?

    Any other ideas to get bootplash?

    I will try to merge Morphix and my remaster now. We will see.

    THX

    Linuxgamer

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Do you think it is possible to mix morphix way with the old bootplash? What does morphix use?
    Bootsplash
    How did you get the knoppix-autoconfig from Morphix?
    I copied /MorphixCD/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to my hard disk.
    When i try to patch my kernel with fbsplash patch i get the error:
    Why not to use beyond patchset http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.html ? No errors with it.

    But as I said I'm still working with tis thing. Perhaps there'is so much differecences with fbsplash and bootsplash that Morphix's scripts don't even work at all. Hope someone could tell us.


    -tapsa-

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13
    Hi

    First the good news: I have bootsplash. I have used normal bootsplash patch.

    Now the bad news:

    When i boot my remaster i get the errors:

    Code:
    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
    
    PCI: PIIX3 Enabling Passive Release on 0000:00:01.0
    
    Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ... Failed.
    Google said that ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP is from old PC but my PC is new and in Knoppix this error isn't shown.

    I think this is a kernel Problem.

    What do you think? And how can i fix this?

    THX

    Linuxgamer

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxgamer
    Google said that ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP is from old PC but my PC is new and in Knoppix this error isn't shown.

    I think this is a kernel Problem.

    What do you think? And how can i fix this?
    I have that same message when booting trough Qemu. Use cheatcode acpi=off to disable that message. It seems to be a very common problem.


    -tapsa-

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13
    Hi

    I have fixed the Error:

    Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ... Failed.

    With your help:

    from tr:
    Code:
    Knoppix 5.0.1 seems to cause some extra problem if using mkinitramfs. Boot process fails in Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection.... It should reply 'started' but now it is 'failed'.
    
    I can bypass that by changing linuxrc:
    Code:
      # /dev is a special case, it is now normally handled via udev
    #  UNIONDEV=""
    #  case "$CMDLINE" in *noudev*) UNIONDEV="dev"; ;; esac
    #  for i in bin boot etc $UNIONDEV sbin var lib opt root usr; do # Move directories to unionfs
     for i in bin boot dev etc sbin var lib opt root usr; do # Move directories to unionfs
    
    As you can see that last line is from Knoppix 4.0.2 (or from Kanotix - don't remember) and I had to comment 'UNIONDEV' section out from new Knoppix 5.0.1's linuxrc.
    But now i get the Errors in case of halt or reboot from my remaster:
    Code:
    /UNIONFS/etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot: line 193: /dev/null No such file or directory
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot: line 193: /dev/null No such file or directory
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot: line 193: /dev/null No such file or directory
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot: line 15: /dev/console No such file or directory
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-reboot: line 103: /dev/console No such file or directory
    How can i fix this?

    THX

    Linuxgamer

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxgamer
    I have fixed the Error:
    Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection ... Failed.
    With your help:
    from tr:
    Code:
    Knoppix 5.0.1 seems to cause some extra problem if using mkinitramfs. Boot process fails in Starting udev hot-plug hardware detection.... It should reply 'started' but now it is 'failed'.
    
    I can bypass that by changing linuxrc:
    Code:
      # /dev is a special case, it is now normally handled via udev
    #  UNIONDEV=""
    #  case "$CMDLINE" in *noudev*) UNIONDEV="dev"; ;; esac
    #  for i in bin boot etc $UNIONDEV sbin var lib opt root usr; do # Move directories to unionfs
     for i in bin boot dev etc sbin var lib opt root usr; do # Move directories to unionfs
    
    As you can see that last line is from Knoppix 4.0.2 (or from Kanotix - don't remember) and I had to comment 'UNIONDEV' section out from new Knoppix 5.0.1's linuxrc.
    But now i get the Errors in case of halt or reboot from my remaster:
    I'm not sure if that was my problem at all. But perhaps you would like to compare my linuxrc with your linuxrc http://linux.ilmainen.net/suomiknoppix/testing/linuxrc. If you have kdiff3 installed, comparing is very easy.

    That linuxrc file works as a dream!

    -tapsa-

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    13
    Hi

    I have solved the Problem by replace /dev/null with /null

    I think the dev is unmountet and it is still needed.

    Thx for Help

    Now Bootsplash work fine.

    cu

    Linuxgamer

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxgamer
    I found many threads about bootsplash in this forum but nothing like a howto or a good explanation.
    Ain't that the truth!

    Quote Originally Posted by Linuxgamer
    Hi
    Now Bootsplash work fine.
    cu
    Linuxgamer
    Great! I guess that means you'll provide a list of the steps with links to where to get the needed files?

    You said it yourself "[there's] nothing like a howto or a good explanation". It would be a great contribution and should only take you a minute.

    Much thanks in advance!

    -Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Confuse to adding Knoppix bootsplash to live cd..
    By RedBrain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
  2. BootSplash Screen
    By usha panwar in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 07:32 PM
  3. Bootsplash and Debian. A paradox?
    By raid517 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
  4. Bootsplash in knoppix ??
    By Masza in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 11:19 PM
  5. bootsplash.org - graphical progress bar
    By probono in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router picture

Juniper Networks SSR120 Smart Router

$500.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00