Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Upgrade after HD Install - future problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    19

    Upgrade after HD Install - future problems

    I've heard a lot on problems of Knoppix upgrade after HD installation.

    Now I've created localized version of Knoppix - Kazit.

    It has great feature "knoppix-installer" but also it is known that it will have lots of upgrade problems.
    For example when I tryed to install official Debian OpenOffice (because I need localization files) I had problems with packages bsh that conflicted with ash-knoppix. And so on.

    What is the real risk of installation of Knoppix on HD? Is it possible to upgrade it?
    What are problematic packages that proably can be removed in order to get cleaner Debian system?

    It is quite important for me becasue if it is impossible to upgrade the system I'd prefare to remove knoppis-installer at all to prevent these kind of problems.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You know the problems that exist. You apparently know the advice usually given to install Debian instead of Knoppix, which does not have these problems. What more is there to say?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    synaptic package upgraded

    Hi. I installed a Knoppix 5 copy on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 2413 NLMi). It works fine. The only problem arrived when i upgraded packages. After reboot, now on my desktop appears 3 CD-ROMs along with my harddrives. Exactly are 2 CD-ROMs and 1DVD-ROM. What should I do to make them dissapear?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31
    Artik,
    This problem of yours is not an unresolvable function of having done an HDD install. See a very helpful solution to your problem here:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...a5681d54bf4e86

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33

    Why upgrading?

    It depends on what you want to do. As often advised - and stressed above in another post - there is no point to HD install Knoppix for your daily-used machine. Just install Debian.

    The reverse is true if you plan traveling and finding a PC wherever you stop. I recently traveled for a couple of weeks in the South Seas, visiting scientific institutions where I could discuss problems as if I were in my office. All that without the annoying, expensive, short-living (and Microsoft imposed) notebook. I just had a Knoppic CD 5.0.1 and a tiny 80GB HD (115 euros overall) for pivot_root install and for my data. It went on smoothly with a perfect i386 Debian, scientific applications (not for crushing number, as that requires amd64 on a parallel system of cpu) and two Windows applications (a database and a molecular drawing package) on Wine: that was even faster than on native OS whenever the PC had 1GB ram. The only problems I sometimes found were connection to internet: most PC are equipped with bad-brand ethernet controllers which are seen though not put to work; whenever I found a Realtek controller, internet was reached smoothly. I never tried printing because I did not need that.

    Why should I upgrade that HD installation? Now, in my office, that HD is merely used for backup. As Debian-Knoppix it is sleeping. It could be awaken for a new travel. For that I could even HD-reinstall if Knoppix has progressed. Now that I know how to do it will take a couple of hours at most.

    I am not trying to say the last word, just tell that Knoppix can afford extraordinarily great service for science provided it is used for what it can be. I do not see favorably efforts spent at making Knoppix 64bit because it will be no service. What I would like to have is also a pivot_root install for Mac. That really because in certain areas Mac is more common than PC.

    Finally, I admit that Knoppix can also be a joke. Take fun with that if you can spare time for that.

    Cheers

    francesco pietra

Similar Threads

  1. Problems after apt-get upgrade
    By funny1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:40 PM
  2. Apt-get upgrade problems, AGAIN - GRRRR
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. Not the usual Kernel upgrade problems
    By spiritwing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 05:48 AM
  4. Kde 3.0 to kde 3.1 upgrade problems
    By silkodyssey in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:56 AM
  5. post-HD install: apt-get dist-upgrade problems
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00