Some hardware is being re-detected during startup, some is not. The thing coming closest to what you want to achieve is to boot off the live cd and replace xorg.conf with xorg.conf as generated by the live cd.
I don't know- with a different monitor, it worked like a charm. No problems at all. Then again, I installed the Debian install with the old CRT monitor, and not the LCD. Is there, by any chance, that we could "re-do" the hardware detection like the LiveCD does?
Some hardware is being re-detected during startup, some is not. The thing coming closest to what you want to achieve is to boot off the live cd and replace xorg.conf with xorg.conf as generated by the live cd.
Two things:
-It seems the Xorg.conf created by Knoppix has disappeared. I simply can't find it. It's odd, as I found one while I was editing the old one.
-I found a file in /hda2/etc/X11 called "default-display-manager." I changed this to both kdm and xdm, but it still failed to start saying neither of these was the default display manager.
Do you think that deleting the file "default-display-manager" might do something?
I doubt that deleting even more files is going to help. What about saving your data to an external drive and doing a fresh install?Do you think that deleting the file "default-display-manager" might do something?
Argh, looks, like I'll have to. Thanks for all the help, anyway.

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00