-
syntax error?
I'm trying to boot knoppix off the cd but it gets to the stage where it says
Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc... /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: 1: Syntax error: redirection unexpected
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
I've verified my CD with md5 and it's okay. I also burned at 4x. I've also tried buring on different media. I've tried the command knoppix nodma. I've tried expert mode. None of these methods work. I'm pretty concerned about the syntax error thing.
Can somebody please help?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Based on what you have told us, I think the solution will be found in answer #1.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Hold on to that thought. I just tried a different program to check md5 and itt seems to be out of whack!
Looks like I'll have to d/l it again (another 5 days on dial-up)!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
segap21
Hold on to that thought. I just tried a different program to check md5 and itt seems to be out of whack!
Looks like I'll have to d/l it again (another 5 days on dial-up)!
I've never seen 2 md5 programs give two different results, much less one make an error and somehow give you the correct sum from bad data input (the chances of that are much less than one out of all the stars in the universe). Although the md5 check was one of the things I wanted you to look at, I would suggest getting a third opnion from another program before downloading again, or figure out what went wrong in your md5 test.
And if the file is the proper size (to the byte), you might be able to fix it by downloading with BitTorrent against the existing file, BitTorrent will fix the bad parts of the iso without having to download the entire thing again. If you used the mirrors the first time you might have had the same corruption I've had many times from the mirrors, and as that changes the byte count and shifts the data, I don't know if BitTorrent can fix that, but it would be worth a try. And if your corruption came from a mirror maybe you will be more inclined to try BitTorrent this time than download from a mirror again.
Similar Threads
-
By dhm in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
-
By Getnikar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-18-2006, 05:13 AM
-
By ramesh in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-23-2003, 04:21 AM
-
By boehmb in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard
$38.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun
$64.35

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard
$17.99