Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: syntax error?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2

    syntax error?

    I'm trying to boot knoppix off the cd but it gets to the stage where it says

    Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc... /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/insmod: 1: Syntax error: redirection unexpected
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

    I've verified my CD with md5 and it's okay. I also burned at 4x. I've also tried buring on different media. I've tried the command knoppix nodma. I've tried expert mode. None of these methods work. I'm pretty concerned about the syntax error thing.

    Can somebody please help?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Based on what you have told us, I think the solution will be found in answer #1.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2
    Hold on to that thought. I just tried a different program to check md5 and itt seems to be out of whack!

    Looks like I'll have to d/l it again (another 5 days on dial-up)!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by segap21
    Hold on to that thought. I just tried a different program to check md5 and itt seems to be out of whack!

    Looks like I'll have to d/l it again (another 5 days on dial-up)!
    I've never seen 2 md5 programs give two different results, much less one make an error and somehow give you the correct sum from bad data input (the chances of that are much less than one out of all the stars in the universe). Although the md5 check was one of the things I wanted you to look at, I would suggest getting a third opnion from another program before downloading again, or figure out what went wrong in your md5 test.

    And if the file is the proper size (to the byte), you might be able to fix it by downloading with BitTorrent against the existing file, BitTorrent will fix the bad parts of the iso without having to download the entire thing again. If you used the mirrors the first time you might have had the same corruption I've had many times from the mirrors, and as that changes the byte count and shifts the data, I don't know if BitTorrent can fix that, but it would be worth a try. And if your corruption came from a mirror maybe you will be more inclined to try BitTorrent this time than download from a mirror again.

Similar Threads

  1. What is the syntax of the boot entry?
    By dhm in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
  2. CD Boot fails: Syntax error near start.
    By Getnikar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 05:13 AM
  3. Configuring Syntax USB-400 wireless lan adapter
    By ramesh in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
  4. ifconfig or netcardconfig dhcp syntax
    By sminotti in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 04:21 AM
  5. Cheap code syntax
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2 picture

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2

$7.84



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.59