-
Configuring internet in knoppix
I recently downloaded Knoppix 5.0.1. I tried configuring network card but was unsuccessful.
In WinXP, I have been given four things by my service provider
1) IP Address(i.e I have static IP)
2) DNS
3) Subnet Mask
4) Gateway-Same as DNS
And it's a wired connection.
When I tried configuring it on knoppix, it asked for DHCP which I cancelled.
I added my IP address and gateway in respective fields. Rest I don't know how to configure. It's asking for Broadcast address, Nameserver
Please let me know if you people need any other information to help me out.
Thank You
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Naneserver is the same as DNS. I suggest using Google to look up subnet mask and broadcast address, both are related, we can't tell you your values from the little information that you provided. Or search these foruns, I've described them in detail many times before. And consider using a router, which will give you important hardware firewall rotection, and once you have it set up properly, let you use dhcp in Knoppix.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Once you have learned that DNS means "Domain Name Server" the only thing you miss is the Broadcast addresss. Very often, Broadcast is related to the Gateway as follows: if Gateway is x.y.z.a, then Broadcast is x.y.z.255. You may try this way.
------
Static IP is by definition the contrary to DHCP that means "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol". Therefore you never try to configure a static IP connection in a DHCP environment.
------
Anyway you are very near to solve your problem.
Good luck!
-
Thanks
Problem has been solved.
Similar Threads
-
By fix in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
-
By ericmaxman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2006, 02:36 AM
-
By karo in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 04:02 AM
-
By KNOPPIX_BOY in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 01:13 AM
-
By flamesrock in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99