Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: After boot: "Missing Operating System"

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3

    After boot: "Missing Operating System"

    What's up? I burned the knoppix iso on a cd (image file) using sonic recordnow. I made windows setup to boot from cd. It then goes to a blank screeen that only says "Missing Operating System".

    I searched google and this forum, and i couldn't find anything.

    I also tried to make a cd from ISO Recorder for winxp (that way i could let it burn at 4X, a lower speed), but it failed when it tried to burn it.

    Any help would be appreciated

    I've tried using knoppix on both a desktop and a laptop.
    desktop specs:
    1.9 ghrz pentium 4
    250mb ram
    78GB hd space
    windows xp sp 1

    laptop:
    2.0 celeron
    250mb ram
    25GB hdd space available
    winxp service pack 2

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: After boot: "Missing Operating System"

    Quote Originally Posted by sef_bnight
    ...... I made windows setup to boot from cd. ...
    What does this mean? Some people might have to make a change to their BIOS, but I've never heard of making a change to windows.

    Have you tried removing the CD and powering the computer completely off before rebooting?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3
    Oops. I meant I set the BIOS to boot from cd.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6

    I see you posted that 3 days ago

    I am having the same problem here! Have done basically all the same stuff. HELP PLEASE!

    Does the CD need to be a boot disc? I tried it on a regular writable cd.

    trying to run it by cd on my laptop:

    Dell Inspiron 16400 or is it 6400 (E1505)
    Genuine Intel(R) CPU
    T2300 @ 1.66 Ghz
    1.66 Ghz, 504 MB RAM

    Windows XP Media 2005

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I see you posted that 3 days ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzoom
    Does the CD need to be a boot disc? I tried it on a regular writable cd.
    Obviously it needs to be a boot disc, but you don't want to do anything to make it bootable in the write process, that will assure failure. See answer #1.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3

    Nero 7

    I just burned it again, this time using Nero 7.
    It worked.

    Thanks for the help.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Nero 7

    Quote Originally Posted by sef_bnight
    I just burned it again, this time using Nero 7.
    I don't have Nero 7 so I can't say exactly where the option to burn an ISO is hidden there. One rather helpless user of Nero 7 in the past claimed that the information for Nero 6 wasn't good enough to help him find the burn iso or burn image option in version 7. Since you know where it is you might help us by updating the FAQ to include specific Nero 7 burning information.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6
    I had a dude help me out today, he had to download Nero to get it to work. And you guys don't really specify that is has to be a bootable disc, but I guess that is logical. Anyways, the dude got it working for me when he burned it with Nero

    Now I just got to figure out the commands (with google helping)

    Thanks for the assistance.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzoom
    ...... And you guys don't really specify that is has to be a bootable disc, but I guess that is logical.
    Actually, it's very important not to take any option that makes the disc "bootabe", and I think the faq spells that out. Just burn the ISO as an image to the CD and it will be bootable, take any option that makes the disk bootable and you'll have a nice bootable coaster.

Similar Threads

  1. error message "missing operating system" while boo
    By chipslawson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 04:04 AM
  2. usb boot problem "cannot find knoppix file system"
    By samboon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
  3. Missing "beep" in bash in knoppix 3.8 to 5.0
    By arturoli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
  4. Missing Operating System
    By digiSal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 10:06 PM
  5. Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display "lo
    By derjens in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95