Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Getting German Instructions after Boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6

    Getting German Instructions after Boot

    I burned the iso image to the disc as well as making it a boot disc with Nero 6 for "knoppix-std-0.1b.iso". The computer recognized the boot disk and got me to the dos screen for drive a. After typing dir, I see one exe file (has the command "wwbmp" or something like that), which I try to enter, but it comes up in German partition stuff or something.

    From what I understand this is supposed to automatically go into Linux once it detects the cd and shows os info or whatever. Does anyone know whats going on? Is their some way to make it at least change the German into English? Why isn't it going directly into linux?

    Edit:
    > [KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso to be exact]. The problem is the "V3.2" in
    > the name of the file. Windows looks at the first "." as the extenstion
    > marker for the file and most CD buring software will do the same. Since
    "2-
    > 2003-05-20-EN.iso" isn't a valid file extenstion, Windows will not
    reconize
    > it.
    > I removed the period between the 3 & the 2 and Nero reconized it as an
    > *.iso file and burned it fine.
    You did know that the "Knoppix std" is a customized version of the Knoppix
    Live distro, right? ( http://www.knoppix-std.org/ ).

    If you just want to try out Linux, I would recommend you use the "regular"
    version of Knoppix:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    The "STD" version, [which was featured on TechTV], focuses on information
    security and network management tools, along with Knoppix Linux.
    Just saw both of those post in another forum. Do you think that the dot is keeping it from running automatically? That still doesn't explain why I am getting German script when I try to enter the command.

    Unfortunately, I need to purchase some rewritable disc because I have run out of available writable ones. But if any of you know the answer to my questions, I would love to know them, so that it works the next time.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6
    Only double posting to give update:

    I just got back from vacation, and now have a rewritable disc, I am going to attempt to burn the image to the disc, but this time with the file name just being knoppix.iso

    Hope it works!

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Well, a couple of points:

    Knoppix-std isn't Knoppix, it's a Live CD based on Knoppix.

    Any time you choose an option in Nero to make an ISO bootable, you will muck up the burn. See answer #1 for proper burning information.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6
    Thanks to your help, I am happy to say that I got the cd running, I think that the period in the file name was the problem.

    But now I face a new problem, it won't detect my wireless network!

    I have a built in wireless card which radios over to a wireless router. As you can see, it works fine on windows. If you can get this solved for me, I am just about certain I won't need to ask any more questions for a while.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6
    noticed no one had replied yet...

    Just wanted to let you know I still need help figuring out how to detect my wireless network on Knoppix so I can go online.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix-STD - only comes with german keyboard? (german.kbd)
    By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
  2. Can not boot from SCSI drive using German Knoppix 5.0.1 CD
    By spiralvoice in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 12:04 AM
  3. Followed all instructions still no boot
    By Quinny in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 11:02 AM
  4. CD rom instructions
    By landolini in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
  5. WORKING INSTRUCTIONS
    By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99