Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: crypto loopback & recompiling kernels

  1. #1

    crypto loopback & recompiling kernels

    Im trying to recompile the Knoppix kernel for reasons related to crypto loopback.
    the /usr/src/linux* directory say the kernel is a vanilla 2.4.20 kernel with only xfs & commandline mods but the .config file has none of the options needed for crypto, e.g.; CONFIG_CRYPTO=m etc.

    since you have to patch the vanilla kernel with the patch-int stuff etc is there a a copy of the patched kernel source used for Knoppix available? and the real config file?[/i]

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11
    I tried this too. I couldn't get the patches to work so I simply downloaded the kernel source and rebuilt the kernel with the correct options set. It took about 20 builds to get everything to finally work. Keep in mind that only a certain version of the kernel would fly with the crypto modules. I have a 1.5 TB crypto volume. It's cool. The problem is that since the crypto work is all done in software, that volume is very, very, very slow. If you delete large files, the system slows down to a crawl to the point where the mouse cursor can take 10 seconds to react to a mouse movement.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBobber
    I tried this too. I couldn't get the patches to work so I simply downloaded the kernel source and rebuilt the kernel with the correct options set. It took about 20 builds to get everything to finally work. Keep in mind that only a certain version of the kernel would fly with the crypto modules.
    there doesnt appear to be any info anywhere as to which crypto modules work with which kernels. If that were true it might explain why explain why I cant get crypto working (& which is why I wanted to rebuild the knoppix version of the kernel). I dont think aes is built into the kernel.

    AFAIK the knoppix kernel source (with patches applied by the knoppix team) isnt available on this site & that would be helpful as a sanity check.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I did this. I just downloaded the kernel source, applied the patch, copied the .config to the source dir, ran "make oldconfig", and then built the kernel and modules.

    Then you have to add the modules to /lib/modules and the kernel to the miniroot.gz.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Two solutions (actually three)

    1. Faster processor (maybe dual Athlons)
    2. More RAM
    3. shrink the volume

    3comedy: delete all that pr0n and it will speed up just fine!

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBobber
    I tried this too. I couldn't get the patches to work so I simply downloaded the kernel source and rebuilt the kernel with the correct options set. It took about 20 builds to get everything to finally work. Keep in mind that only a certain version of the kernel would fly with the crypto modules. I have a 1.5 TB crypto volume. It's cool. The problem is that since the crypto work is all done in software, that volume is very, very, very slow. If you delete large files, the system slows down to a crawl to the point where the mouse cursor can take 10 seconds to react to a mouse movement.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    -

    3comedy: delete all that pr0n and it will speed up just fine!
    Im sceptical; 1.5Tb porn? thats way more than me, I'd like to see that.
    no really I'd like to see that

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    I did this. I just downloaded the kernel source, applied the patch, copied the .config to the source dir, ran "make oldconfig", and then built the kernel and modules.

    Then you have to add the modules to /lib/modules and the kernel to the miniroot.gz.
    But that was my point: the .config file contains no crypto related options in it, so after you patch the kernel with the international patch how is the .config helping you to select, for example, cryptoapi, cryptoloop, cipher-aes etc.
    After I do all the patching cipher module building etc etc All I get after doing losetup ... is ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
    Can you tell me the kernel you used and what patches you used to get functioning loopback crypto.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by davidHarris
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    I did this. I just downloaded the kernel source, applied the patch, copied the .config to the source dir, ran "make oldconfig", and then built the kernel and modules.

    Then you have to add the modules to /lib/modules and the kernel to the miniroot.gz.
    But that was my point: the .config file contains no crypto related options in it, so after you patch the kernel with the international patch how is the .config helping you to select, for example, cryptoapi, cryptoloop, cipher-aes etc.
    After I do all the patching cipher module building etc etc All I get after doing losetup ... is ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
    Can you tell me the kernel you used and what patches you used to get functioning loopback crypto.
    Yes, that's why you :
    Code:
    make oldconfig
    which uses the .config you supply ( i.e. you've put the .config from knoppix into your kernel directory where you are compiling ) and it just asks for the new options.

    Hmm, although that error, LOOP_SET_STATUS, looks like a modprobe / mount error. You may not be using the correct mount options. I.e. are you doing losetup with all the crypto options?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    As far as I know, the loopback device for crypto is a dropped in replacement (loop.o) which is built seperately from the kernel. There is no options in the kernel build tree for that.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    As far as I know, the loopback device for crypto is a dropped in replacement (loop.o) which is built seperately from the kernel. There is no options in the kernel build tree for that.
    You can build it into the kernel. And yep, I think it is called loop.o when it's compiled as a module. The Knoppix compressed loop is cloop.o .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Config Dateien des Kernels
    By rainerh in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. Problems with 2.6.1 kernels and fsck
    By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
  3. Recompiling 2.4.22 for acpi
    By bangmandsl in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:29 PM
  4. Experimental Kernels?
    By fearlessrogue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 12:16 AM
  5. Mounting a Loopback image
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989  Untested  picture

Vintage Cubix A2870 + 2x A2310 QL 2286 Video Module ISA Boards 1989 Untested

$207.92



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed picture

Vintage Promise EIDEMAX Enhanced IDE Disk Controller ISA Non-RAID Card Boxed

$34.99