Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: crypto loopback & recompiling kernels

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    As far as I know, the loopback device for crypto is a dropped in replacement (loop.o) which is built seperately from the kernel. There is no options in the kernel build tree for that.
    You can build it into the kernel. And yep, I think it is called loop.o when it's compiled as a module. The Knoppix compressed loop is cloop.o .
    In that case, it would mean copying the related files(there are a number of them like AES etc.) to the kernel tree under block/ ?

    Either way, I still don't think there is an option specifically for it as it is to the kernel just a loopback.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    As far as I know, the loopback device for crypto is a dropped in replacement (loop.o) which is built seperately from the kernel. There is no options in the kernel build tree for that.
    You can build it into the kernel. And yep, I think it is called loop.o when it's compiled as a module. The Knoppix compressed loop is cloop.o .
    In that case, it would mean copying the related files(there are a number of them like AES etc.) to the kernel tree under block/ ?

    Either way, I still don't think there is an option specifically for it as it is to the kernel just a loopback.
    There is an option for losetup - man losetup
    - losetup [ -e encryption ] [options] loop_device file


    With the patch I used ( internation kernel patch ) it patched the kernel tree, and so did put files in the kernel tree. You have the option of building the cyphers as modules or into the kernel.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by davidHarris
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    -

    3comedy: delete all that pr0n and it will speed up just fine!
    Im sceptical; 1.5Tb porn? thats way more than me, I'd like to see that.
    no really I'd like to see that
    Yes. It is a lot of skin. That's what happens when you have a quadruple T1 connection to the internet and 5 computers running 24/7 to do all the crawling & downloading.

    I'm down to about 2.8 GB free on the 1.5TB volume. I've been burning to CD to free up the space (I'm on CD #4292) since buying 1.5TB worth of disk space isn't too fun anymore. I also have a 3 foot stack of 80 GB and 120 GB hard drives that are full. I may have to switch to burning DVDs since the CD idea isn't working out too well. I'm working on my web utilities to put it all on-line, allowing people to search by name, description, category, and even rating, but I'm not quite done and we've a little off topic...

  4. #14

    - crypto loopback issue fixed -

    In case anyone with a similar problem googles into this post Im posting the solution.
    What I had failed to do was to grab the very latest util-linux from kernel.org. I thought I had the latest one in Knoppix but in fact if you use the internation crypto patch there is a second patch that has to be applied to util-linux (which contains losetup & mount etc). This is found in the latest loop-AES-v*.tar.gz. Read the README in that file and follow all the instructions. You have to ensure the following: CONFIG_MODULES=y and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n. Once I'd done that & patched the util-liinux source and rebuilt it, the problem below went away and loopback crypto worked fine. HTH

    Quote Originally Posted by davidHarris
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    I did this. I just downloaded the kernel source, applied the patch, copied the .config to the source dir, ran "make oldconfig", and then built the kernel and modules.

    Then you have to add the modules to /lib/modules and the kernel to the miniroot.gz.
    But that was my point: the .config file contains no crypto related options in it, so after you patch the kernel with the international patch how is the .config helping you to select, for example, cryptoapi, cryptoloop, cipher-aes etc.
    After I do all the patching cipher module building etc etc All I get after doing losetup ... is ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
    Can you tell me the kernel you used and what patches you used to get functioning loopback crypto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Config Dateien des Kernels
    By rainerh in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
  2. Problems with 2.6.1 kernels and fsck
    By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
  3. Recompiling 2.4.22 for acpi
    By bangmandsl in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 10:29 PM
  4. Experimental Kernels?
    By fearlessrogue in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 12:16 AM
  5. Mounting a Loopback image
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98