-
Need to rescue files from Windows
Hello all. About a month ago I booted up my computer but encountered an error: "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart." I restarted, but the same error popped up. I gave up all hope and abandoned the computer. I came back to it a week or two later and booted it up again. This time, I was able to get to reach the GRUB booter (I was dual booting Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 5.10). I selected Windows XP Pro but encountered the following error:
"Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional'
root(hd0,0)
filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
savedefault
make active
chainloader +1
A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."
I booted into the Windows Recovery Console using the Windows XP install disk and ran chkdisk /r to try repairing any erros. Chkdsk started out fine and got to 29% where it encountered an error. It attempted to fix the error, but was unable to. It displayed the error: "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." I gave up on the Windows Recovery Console.
I am able to boot into Ubuntu Linux just fine. A friend of mine suggested that I attempt to rescue the files off my Windows partition from my Ubuntu install. I'm not sure how to do that from Ubuntu, but while searching for answers I found a simple looking solution: use the Knoppix Live CD. I booted into Knoppix 5.01 (the live cd) and attempted to mount "hda1" which was on the desktop. The progress bar came up and didn't appear to do anything for a couple seconds. I then recieved the following error:
"Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
Error reading $MFT : Input/output error
Failed to load $MFT : Input/output error
Failed to startup volume : Input/output error
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1' : Input/output error
Mount failed. "
It would be great if someone could help me figure out how to retrieve my files. I think my next step would be to just format the entire disk and just do a fresh install.
Thanks in advance.
Similar Threads
-
By smhall05 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2008, 05:18 AM
-
By divali in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
-
By ilkerka in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
-
By alb1954 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM
-
By HK in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08