Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Just can't figure this out (wireless)...

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ockham23
    Few questions: How do I log into the router and disable encryption? You need a network cable to connect to it and a password to log in.

    How do I determine the ESSID? After login, you can retrieve the router's settings.
    How do I determine the value for my channel? Same as above.

    And all 5 of those lines are seperate entries, right? Yes, each line is a separate command.
    The cable is connected to the router(downstairs computer, linux is on the upstairs one), and goes to the computer. Also, one goes to a wall outlet. How do I log in? I tried device manager (windows) but there was nothing about logging in.

    One thing I noticed under network settings in the control panel is that instead of the ip beint 192.168.0.1, it was 192.168.0.101, and that the physical network address is 00-11-11-D1-76-FE. Perhaps that is relevant?

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by marinebro0306
    How do I log in? I tried device manager (windows) but there was nothing about logging in.
    Typically, if your router is assigning addresses via DHCP, the address of the router is the same as the gateway IP. Use this in an internet browser instead of the typical URL (instead of using http://<your address here> put in the IP: 192.168.x.x where x.x are relevant to your gateway). At this point you should be requested to input your adminstrator (of the router) account and password. From there you can determine the ESSID and chanel.

    HTH,

    'Goon

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    The computer downstairs is my Dad's (im 15), and we recently got fiber optic DSL, as opposed to regular DSL. For this we got a new router, and he doesn't recall making a username/password for it, although it does prompt me for it.

    I observed the connections via my PSP, and apparently the SSID (same thing as ESSID?) is called 'default', but it made no mention of a channel. Maybe that will help...

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    default? Might be a Netgear router. Username for login usually is "admin", password is "password".

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    Scary how you know that...
    Anyway, the SSID is default, and the Channel is 6. I'll have to change the password, then try out the script you told me.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    I did the commands, but to no avail. Here were the responses:
    Code:
    su (nothing, obviously)
    ifdown eth1 (interface eth1 not configured)
    ifdown eth2 (same as eth1)
    iwconfig eth0 essid default mode managed channel 6 (blank)
    dhclient eth0 (command not found)
    Shouldn't I do the iwconfig eth thing to eth1 though?

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Use "iwconfig" to find the interface that has wireless extensions and replace "eth0" with the correct label. It's "Managed" with a capital "M".
    Apparently, dhclient isn't available. Once more, enter command "iwconfig" to find out whether the network adapter is "associated" with "default". If so, run "Configure network card" from the Knoppix menu and confirm "DHCP = Yes".

    I use Kanotix, a distro based on Knoppix but designed for hd install. Many packages are different, apparently dhclient is one of them. I prefer Kanotix because you can easily update it to the latest kernel and wireless drivers.

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    I tried iwconfig and everything after it (correctly) and it said: could not complete SET SSID operation: operation not available (or something like that).
    Also, when I do configure network card and confirm DHCP=yes, it says failed after taking a few seconds to do whatever it does.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    could not complete SET SSID operation: operation not availabl
    Hm, this indicates a problem with either the driver or the firmware. I have two suggestions:
    1. Try installing Windows drivers with ndiswrapper.
    2. Download & install Kanotix-2006-Easter-RC4 and update to latest kernel. If it still doesn't work, the developers Kano, slh and kelmo will help you to get it going at http://kanotix.com.

  10. #20
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    20
    Hmm guess I might just stick with windows. I'll install those drivers and if that doesn't work, oh well. Thanks for the help though!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who wants to help me figure this friggin sound card out
    By jomi822 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 02:34 AM
  2. How to figure out external HDs (iPod)
    By Olav in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 08:50 AM
  3. Using a WPC11 v4...cant figure it out.
    By mehaase in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
  4. Cant Figure Out Error...
    By thehydra in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
  5. Lyx Error when inserting figure floats
    By roli in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50