-
USB Flash disk / USB memory Stick FAQ - HOW DO I install to?
Is there a defenite guide on installing Knoppix to a USB memory stick ?
I'm want to use KnopPix v4 from - http://ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr...5-09-23-EN.iso
The idea is to boot completely from USB and use as if if Knoppix was running from a hard disk, saving files to the USB stick. I have a 2Gb memory stick. I would like to use PCs as dumb (thin client) terminals, diskless workstations.
Is there a defenite step-by step guide ?
I've already had a look at: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758 which wasn't very clear.
Thanks
-
KnopPix to USB memory stick (what I've tried so far)
I've noticed on the KnopPix live cd/ISO that there is a /boot/KNOPPIX file of several megabytes, and also on of the other knopPix based distros like Damn Small Linux and FeatherLinux.
How do I make the USB installed image Knoppix read/writeable ?
I have 2Gb USB memory stick and my machine can boot from USB.
When selecting to create a USB installable image from the KnopPix live CD it asks for the size of the home drive area. I chose 650mb , it could have been any other size, whatever I wanted. A new 650mb file named KNOPPIX was then created and copied to the USB stick.
When preparing a two Knoppix-based distros, Damn Small Linux and FeatherLinux, for a USB bootable system I go as follows:
1. Format the USB stick with the HP USB format tool, FAT filesystem (http://selfdestruct.net/misc/usbboot/SP27213.exe)
2. Prepare USB stick with SysLinux 2.10 (as specified on the featherlinux website, http://www.apcstart.com/usb/featherlinux/)
3. Copied the contents of the the DSL / Feather ISO image to USB.
4. Booted from USB stick, linux loads ok but installation does not keep settings. Everything seem to be loaded to RAM. How do I change this so that changes are written to USB ?
Can I overwrite the KNOPPIX image copied onto my current bootable DSL's \boot\KNOPPIX with the 650mb file created by the Knoppix lice CD ?
How do I make a bootable USB stick from the KNOPPIX file made by Knoppix live CD ?
Thanks,
Willem
-
hi gerasmus
I've got the same problem - I want my USB Knoppix be a standalone writable filesystem . I'm going to work on usb stick with knoppix as normal as on common desktop.
But the /dev/sda1 (the knoppix usb) is mounted by script to /cdrom directory in read only mode. So I cant work with files.
How to customize Knoppix for mouting Knoppix's media (usb stick in my case) as read/write ?
If the Knoppix's USB will be moutned in read/write mode, will my newly created files (and other custom files created my user) saved to usb stick ?
paul
-
Same problem here! Someone has to have a solution to this?!
Similar Threads
-
By kidsatacrux in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
-
By dennyk858 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
-
By dennyk858 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-25-2006, 04:58 AM
-
By southmiamiman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
-
By hgpuke in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

acer swift air 14
$600.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD
$379.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00