Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems booting and starting X

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6

    Problems booting and starting X

    Hi, I can't seem to boot into X with Knoppix 5.0.1.

    If I boot normally, the system just halts with a totally black screen and no DVD or HD activity, just after the boot screen. Typing "knoppix acpi=off" gets me a little further, but the kernel panics soon afterwards. I have tried typing the following commands, which halt right after the boot screen as before:

    knoppix no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc}
    knoppix no{dhcp,fstab,firewire}
    knoppix no{pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb}

    If I type "failsafe" it boots until X starts, at which point I get the "DVI: No Signal" message on my monitor. The system continues to boot though, because I hear "Initiating startup sequence" and the DVD and HD continue to be very active.

    Along with typing "failsafe", I have tried adding the commands:

    knoppix xmodule=ati¦fbdev¦i810¦mga
    knoppix xmodule=nv¦radeon¦savage¦s3
    knoppix xmodule=radeon¦svga¦i810
    knoppix vga=normal
    knoppix 2

    The only command which gets me to any interactive point with a visible screen is "failsafe knoppix 2". At which point if I type "startx" the screen goes black and I hear "initiating startup sequence" again. I have tried plugging the monitor into the second DVI out on the video card, but no difference.

    Any suggestions? Any help would be very much appreciated. System spec posted below:

    AMD 4600+ Dual Core 64bit AM2
    Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe
    Sapphire Radeon X1900XT
    Seagate 320GB SATA2
    Viewsonic VP930 19"TFT
    2GB Kingston 667 (2x1GB)
    Creative SB Audigy Gamer
    3com 10/100 NIC

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    Well, I have made a breakthrough! (of sorts). My vid card only has DVI out but my monitor has DVI and VGA. Using an adaptor I used a VGA connector instead, and got video using only the "failsafe" command. However, I have no mouse control (plugged into PS2 port) and it's horrifically unstable.

    Anyway, I'm off for a drink. Hope this info may be useful to someone else: black screen but sound - use VGA.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by khinch
    My vid card only has DVI out but my monitor has DVI and VGA. Using an adaptor I used a VGA connector ....... Hope this info may be useful to someone else: black screen but sound - use VGA.
    This isn't making much sense to me at all. I know there are a lot of issues with some DVI cards. I had a friend who couldn't even get to his BIOS settings because the DVI out wasn't enabled until Windows booted and the BIOS was never seen! He had to change brands of video card vender to resolve it. But in your case you're not really switching between DVI and VGA, you're always using DVI out, just converting it to VGA with an adapter and then going in to the VGA in on the same monitor. If Knoppix produces viewable output this way than I don't understand why the monitor couldn't display that same video when it came in on the DVI input. I hope that as you learn more about this that you'll post it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    I agree, I don't really understand how that can happen myself. I was pretty astounded the more I thought about it, so I plugged in an old Daytek 15"CRT that I had lying around, and same deal, worked perfectly (at 800x600). Back into VGA on 19" TFT, same deal. Onto DVI, no video after X Starts.

    There is of course the possibility that this is a prob with my monitor. If I have time I'll try playing around with "knoppix xvrefresh" and "xhrefresh" and see if I get anywhere.

    The other prob I'll have to track down is why "failsafe" works, but none of the "knoppix xmodule" commands work. When I find out what piece of hardware it is that's holding me back I can isolate it and switch it off. Should make more progress then.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    Well, I have booted to the prompt before Xwindows starts and taken note of the refresh frequencies. I then started in failsafe mode again, but this time with the "knoppix vsync" and "hsync" operators set the same as they were at bootup screen, but no joy.

    I'm no linux expert, but I'd say that Xwindows in Knoppix doesn't know how to drive a Radeon X1900XT's DVI port properly. Just a wild guess though.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6
    Sorry, hit submit too soon.

    Either that or Viewsonic VP930 monitors are expecting something more through their DVI inputs than their VGA ones, and hence it thinks there is no signal through DVI - even when it's getting the same information as the VGA port is.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems starting Knoppix 5.
    By ryansanders2002 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 06:01 PM
  2. Having problems starting Knoppix...
    By grayfox777 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 06:54 AM
  3. Problems starting X on remastered Knoppix
    By robamler in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 07:57 PM
  4. Starting Knoppix Terminal Server when booting from CD?
    By Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 07:36 AM
  5. Problems starting knoppix
    By garrettvm in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 04:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$405.73



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$441.77



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1694.85



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Samsung T9 1TB, External (MU-PG1T0B/AM) Solid Slate Drive picture

Samsung T9 1TB, External (MU-PG1T0B/AM) Solid Slate Drive

$188.99