Maybe there's no "/media" directory. Replace "/media" with "/mnt" and try again.Code:ls /media
Maybe there's no "/media" directory. Replace "/media" with "/mnt" and try again.Code:ls /media
Let me explain how I got to this point in the first place. I had two partitions that Ubuntu nautilus could not see, hdb3 & hdb4. Gparted could see them. I finally got Ubuntu to recognize them, but then I could not get permssion. That was when I started tweaking fstab and the next boot failed, I could not and still can not boot into Ubuntu. That is why I am trying to edit fstab from a live CD. About the command above, do I use that command in knoppix seeing I can not boot Ubuntu or were you assuming I could boot in to Ubuntu ?Originally Posted by ockham23
This is from Knoppix, just to list the contents of /media. And, while you're at it, you could post the output ofCode:sudo fdisk -l
root@0[knoppix]# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30020272128 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3649 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 3648 29302528+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
Disk /dev/hdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 1824 14651248+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 1825 4402 20707785 5 Extended
/dev/hdb3 4403 6952 20482875 83 Linux
/dev/hdb4 6953 9729 22306252+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb5 1825 1970 1172713+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb6 * 1971 4402 19535008+ 83 Linux
Disk /dev/sda: 259 MB, 259522560 bytes
65 heads, 32 sectors/track, 243 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2080 * 512 = 1064960 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 244 253424 4 FAT16 <32M
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(249, 64, 32) logical=(243, 44, 32)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
root@1[knoppix]# ls /media
ls: /media: No such file or directory
Is this Knoppix 4.0 or an older version? Ok, check whether directory "/mnt" exists. If so, the commands arels: /media: No such file or directoryCode:su mkdir /mnt/hdb6 mount -o rw /dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 mcedit /mnt/hdb6/etc/fstab umount /mnt/hdb6
[quote="ockham23"]Knoppix 4.0.2Is this Knoppix 4.0 or an older version?
Strange, I have 4.0.1 and mount points are in /media. Anyway, /mnt will do as well (if it exists, that is).
Try this,
When you get the knoppix boot screen, type: knoppix 2, this will bott you into a command line and you are root.
Now from the command line, type: startx, this will start the xsession and you should be able to proceed, as root, in a graphical mode to peruse your partitions and edit /etc/fstab, wherever it may be without sudo first.
HTH
ok, good deal, I was able to access, edit and save my changes in hdb6 fstab with the above commands. Thank you so much for being patient and walking me through this. I allready have this post and the commands added to my library.Originally Posted by ockham23
This post can be closed,
the knoppix forums are great,
sarah
This sounds interesting, thanks rusty I'll give it a try. I like graphic's.......Originally Posted by rusty
sarah

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72