Hi all,
I use USB Flash Drive for Knoppix ,but it is mounted as read only media So the question is: how to set Knoppix's USB mounting from read-only to read-write. What script does mount Knoppix's media ?
Cheers!
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Right click on the desktop icon of the drive and select "mount". Right click on the desktop icon again and select "Actions --> Make drive writable".
no, the problem is not so silly as You thought.
Harry, I You cant unmount partition that is used by the filesystem at the same time(in my case it is a usb stick wtih knoppix).
ockham23, yes i agree , but the usb is my knoppix media.
The question was: how to change the default read-only mode mounting to read write, not by simply unmouting and mounting in other mode, but changing the script which mounts drive on system init. Where could i find mentioned script ?
P.
You didn't make it clear that you actually had knoppix on the USB device with the previous post. You saidOriginally Posted by kermitq
That not quite the same as saying that you boot Knoppix from the USB device, it just implies that you have a USB stick that you want to use for Knoppix, perhaps to save data or programs.Originally Posted by kermitq
I think you may have to partition the device as two partitions, on for the system and one for data.
Yes, I've just made two partitions.
But, I still return to my previous question. Is it possible set Knoppix for mounting its media to read/write mode ?
Maybe I understand what you mean.Originally Posted by kermitq
I've experienced this isssue with 'exhotic' devices. With 'exhotic' I mean not simply usb_key but such devices as PSP(sony). Knoppix installs (not live_cd, not tried) completly fails to mount it. I can mount such devices only with a kanotix install, but they will be recognized as 'read_only_file_ system', and after an 'ls -l /media/sda1' check I have a result like:
And even after become root and giving a 'chmod 777 /media/sda1' command the shell again says 'read-only file system!'.Code:-rx-r------- guest guest .....
This not always happen and once I was able to mount a PSP on knoppix/kanotix_install with r/w rights.
To avoid the only_read_fs_issue maybe is necessary crete a filesystem from scratch [mkfs.vfat...], but not tried, being PSPs of costumers and not mine.
so the media on which knoppix is burned/copied ( cd, or usb ) cant be mouted as read-write even after changing some its internal scripts ?
Last chanche (maybe), check '/etc/fstab' root mountpoint that being without read_only flag.
This is the file you call 'script' (actually it isn't a script, but a 'config file').
The below is mine, you can notice the 'ro' only in case of faulting-reboot, not default.
Code:/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
yes i know what config file is
But knoppix adds autmaticaly lines to fstab. The Knoppix CD is add to fstab dynamically. and it is added as read-only (nothing strange if it is CD - but I use Knoppix on USB pendrive). I'm looking for scripts which adds these lines to fstab config file. Maybe in that script I could change mounting to read-write.
P.

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$69.99
Vintage DEC LR150-11 Power Supply 70-0464-01 Rev S Sun Shoebox Server PSU Used
$160.00
DEC Vintage Pulse-to-Step Converter Driver Interface Card for DEC Systems
$50.00
6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$95.00
DEC 3010A Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$100.00
Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)
$149.99