Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    13

    Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

    I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?


    Any help are more than greatly appriciated

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    It's not exactly an idiot question. There are two very conflicting schools of thought on it. You deinately don't have to download "something else" if you are dead set on installing Knoppix, what you have on the CD or DVD is what you "install". But there are many of us who believe that installing it is a mistake. See my stock answer #2 for details. And in your case I would think there is even more reason to avoid a Knoppix install and go witha Linux that is really intended for hard disk, since you have already noted the problems with Knoppix and your native language, but Debian, the Linux release that Knoppix is based on, has support for it. I'm not qualified to evaluate the quality of the support for your language, but from whaT I've seen of the rest of Debian I would expect it would be pretty good (which is not a promise that all applications that you might want to download would also support the language, but at least some will). Since Knoppix is built from Debian you could install debian and then install any of the applications that you want that are in Knoppix from the Dabian package system. I Would suggest that you start here, use the link near the top right to find a local server, and consider a net-install of Debian.

  3. #3

    Re: Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung
    I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?


    Any help are more than greatly appriciated
    I'm with Harry. If you want an install distro, install Kubuntu. Super Sweet.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Barcelona,Spain
    Posts
    6

    Re: Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorian
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung
    I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?


    Any help are more than greatly appriciated
    I'm with Harry. If you want an install distro, install Kubuntu. Super Sweet.
    Go PClinux OS, the best new user distro there is today. (KDE as well).

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    13

    To Rich Es

    Sorry , but can u explain the PClinux OS in detail, I have no idea what it is , sorry about my ignorance .
    Thanx

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: To Rich Es

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelYoung
    Sorry , but can u explain the PClinux OS in detail, I have no idea what it is , sorry about my ignorance .
    Thanx
    There are many many versions (or Distros) of Linux, almost as many as there are religions. Unfortunately, many people who select one come to believe that their choice is the only right one, just like with religion. Rather than take such advice you might want to look into the different distros and see what they offer. On good place to start would be Distrowatch, in the right hand column you can find links to many different distros that should help you determine what is right for you. Some distros might be great for some people, but awful for others, if it doesn't support their native language for example. I have mentioned installing Debian to you more than once. Not because I think it's the best Linux distro, but because if you want Knoppix installed you can get the good but not the bad by installing Debian etch, Knoppix is based on Debian. And it supports your native language. PCLinuxOS is English only. If you install another distro that seems right for you, that's great, just make an informed choice.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    13

    Great thanx to Harry

    I know u must be tired of hearing thanx from hundreds of people whom u offer help, but I am really greatful 4 u. Thanx a million again.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Succesfully installed but grub installed in root
    By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
  3. Help! Feel like an idiot...
    By BubbaCola in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
  4. a few newbie idiot questions
    By shaneblyth in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
  5. Idiot Install
    By JetCowBoB in forum Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2003, 12:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00