Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Es
So, on a knoppix forum you would tell a new user (who is having problems with the live cd) just not to use it and even though the developers went to a lot of trouble to include install-files, that installed on the harddrive it doesn't work either. You never know, by doing an install, new users might learn something. Whatsmore you said a newbie should try Debian Etch ?!
Why not just go the whole hog and tell everyone on the forum that Knoppix is no good, go get PClinuxOS instead?

Just out of curiosity, for the OP, what is your solution for his slow "live" knoppix ? I am intrigued.
I didn't tell a new user just not to use the Live CD.

The developers didn't go to a heck of a lot of trouble, there have been known problems with a hard disk install for years. The oldest problem in the HDD Install forum is networking that was fine from the Live CD breaking after an "install", and I still see reports of the same symptoms. Klaus even so much as admitted that previous versions were not suitable for install when he claimed that this version was finally ready for install, but there are a lot of problems in the current release and the install is one of them. Just because someone managed to convince Klaus to include some install scripts is not reason to advice every noob to install Knoppix, when we know it leads to many problems.

The user might learn a lot by smashing their hand with a hammer, as you say, you never know. But hand smashing or knoppix installing, either one would be irresponsiable to suggest.

Knoppix is based on Debian (although an incompatable mix of Debian distros that are delicately balanced and usually break when installed to hard disk). So it's reasonable to suggest someone who likes what they see on the Live CD install Debian, they can apt-get any application in Knoppix. I don't advise against other Linux distros, and I'm not saying that Debian is the best distro for all users, but it's a much better place to start than installing Knoppix.

Michael has been fighting with several problems since he started posting. I don't know what his speed problem is. But I do know that, although Knoppix will load a browser slightly slower than either my Debian or my Windows systems, it surfs just fine after the browser is loaded. He was given bad advice that the speed problem was due to running from the Live CD.