Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 99

Thread: Got Knoppix 5.0.1 successfully booting from USB key

  1. #51

    syslinux won't recognise sda4

    I have been following your very clear instructions but I've got stuck at

    syslinux -s /dev/sda4


    I get the following response

    /dev/sda4: No such file or directory

    Even though when I look at it in fdisk I get the following:

    Disk /dev/sda: 1023 MB, 1023672320 bytes
    64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 976 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda4 * 1 976 999408 6 FAT16


    Any ideas where I could have gone wrong? I am using Knoppix 5.1.1 on an IBM T40 Thinkpad

  2. #52
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    you checked in /dev that sda4 is there? although its odd that fdisk would pick it up

    check the next steps to see if ldlinux.sys is there....

    presume device is writeable

    HTH

  3. #53
    Thanks for the reply. That's interesting - I'm quite new to Linux and didn't think of checking there, and I found that there was an sda and an sda1 but no sda4! If I put /dev/sda4 I get the message that the folder doesn't exist.

    How come fdisk and cfdisk come to that both list sda4 and fdisk labels it /dev/sda4 ? Seems a bit of a contradiction. Any idea how this could come about? Could there be a bug in Knoppix 5.1.1?

  4. #54
    So I used the instructions in http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/08...-memory-stick/ to put knoppix onto the partition previously created (using windows), however it would be helpful if you could include the procedure for running in root ie setting the knoppix root password and then opening a root shell in order to make the usb writeable - and be able to make the changes to the syslinux.cfg file you suggest.

  5. #55
    So I used the instructions in http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/08...-memory-stick/ to put knoppix onto the partition previously created (using windows), however it would be helpful if you could include the procedure for running in root ie setting the knoppix root password and then opening a root shell in order to make the usb writeable - and be able to make the changes to the syslinux.cfg file you suggest.

  6. #56
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Quick question I would like to update usb drive to 5.1.1 [Beryl!] do I just need the Knoppix dir ?

  7. #57
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1
    Hello,

    I am trying to get knoppix 5 on my mini-cruzer 1Gb Usb flash drive.

    I followed the steps precisely. The drive now boots, it gets passed the boot screen, and the minirt loads. When the screen clears it then hangs on the line

    Looking for CD in /dev/sda1

    I believe all the files are in sda4. I tried a couple of the cheat codes like boot, bootfrom hd and hdfrom and had them all point to /dev/sda4/. Unfortunately none of these options worked.

    Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

    Thanks.

  8. #58
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    50
    Cannot be certain but I think you may have missed a step or used sda1 by mistake...

    Please try it again see what happens ....


    HTH

  9. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9
    What is the advantage to doing all steps mentioned in previous posts compared to just running this command?
    Code:
    mkbootdev
    I clicked through a couple screens and then I had a bootable thumb drive.

  10. #60
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I got Kaella 3.1 beta1 (french translation of knoppix 5.1.1) booting on a usb key using the brilliant howto mentioned in this topic. I got the portable home directory as well. The only thing is, Kaella would'nt detect my hard drives correctly now. The symptoms are similar, if not identical, to this post (cdrom mounted twice, in particular).

    Any idea, somebody ?

    Thanks

    Philippe

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Successfully installed Oracle 10g on Knoppix 3.4
    By rahulreddy in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
  2. Successfully remastered 3.9 with rebuilt kernel and unionfs
    By Pallbearer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
  3. knoppix successfully detects eth0 and eth1 and ra0 appears
    By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:41 AM
  4. Howto successfully "mkbootfloppy" with kernel 2.6
    By larrycow in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:52 PM
  5. Successfully boots from hard-drive... BUT...
    By Ewen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 07:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD picture

DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD

$550.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor  picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor

$145.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD AM5 picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD AM5

$275.00



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Dell Latitude 5420 14 in (256 GB SSD Intel Core i5 11th Gen. 4.40 GHz 8 GB)... picture

Dell Latitude 5420 14 in (256 GB SSD Intel Core i5 11th Gen. 4.40 GHz 8 GB)...

$149.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 5.2 GHz - Socket AM5 120W picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D - Ryzen 7 9000 Series Zen 5 8-Core 5.2 GHz - Socket AM5 120W

$399.99