-
USB booting
Krellan2,
Thank you so much for the great posts and the wiki page. Finally some one who's talking English!
I followed the instructions given on the Wiki page and have the Knoppix image on a Fat 16 Flashdrive (I think). However the BIOS seems to simply be glazing over it and I'm not seeing any indication that the BIOS even knows its there. The 1GB Flashdrive is plugged in to built-in USB ports. My BIOS allows me to put "Removable devices" in the boot order, which I have done. I have put "Removable Devices" before the Harddrive with XP on it.
I'm confused.
I have tried it on a few computers, with similar results. I have been working on this a few times, and in previous attempts used tohd=/dev/sda1 in the boot command. I was able to use boot from the Flashdrive using fromhd=/dev/sda1
IF
I had the Knoppix cd in the CD drive. In this scenario the BIOS boots from the CD perfectly. It is also able to use the Knoppix image on the Flashdrive created by the tohd=/dev/sda1 command by Fromhd=/dev/sda1.
HOWEVER
The BIOS would treat the Flashdrive exactly as it does now, as if it didn't see it.
Initially I thought I would need to install GRUB or LILO onto the Flashdrive. But didn't know how to use these, and couldn't find understandable instructions. (I guess that's the catch with Linux right?)
My goal is to create a perfectly portable OS that boots and has a PH on the Flashdrive. (Thus, I would be able to walk up to any BIOS supporting computer and boot into my desktop!)
Is this possible? I think your thread says it is...I just can't figure it out.
Have I done something wrong? Does the BIOS settings for Legacy support affect the matter? Do I need to use Fat32 instead of Fat16? ANY help in this matter would be helpful!
Thanks again
Godfearer22004
Similar Threads
-
By rahulreddy in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
-
By Pallbearer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM
-
By paradigm_shift in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 05:41 AM
-
By larrycow in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:52 PM
-
By Ewen in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$594.99

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$69.00

3x Various Brands 10.5", 8.5" & 7" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape .5"
$34.99

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99