Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: What's the best Linux?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10

    What's the best Linux?

    Has the most features, most support, most compatibility, etc? I'm looking to install one on my HD but not sure which to pick. I heard Mandrake was good but I'm not sure. I'll continue to use Knoppix but am looking for another. Help me out please. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    Re: What's the best Linux?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomOSX
    Has the most features, most support, most compatibility, etc? I'm looking to install one on my HD but not sure which to pick. I heard Mandrake was good but I'm not sure. I'll continue to use Knoppix but am looking for another. Help me out please. Thanks.
    What's wrong with knoppix?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    Want the best of both worlds?....http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

    <snip>

    Rixel

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10
    Nothing's wrong from Knoppix but I was wondering if there were better Linux OSes out there.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomOSX
    Nothing's wrong from Knoppix but I was wondering if there were better Linux OSes out there.
    It depends on what you mean by better but if you would like to check out some other flavours of linux Distrowatch has more than enough listed to keep you busy installing for a while.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Asking what the "best" flavor of linux is, is a lot like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is. You will get different opinion from every person.

    If you are REALY linux savy you might look at lfs "Linux From Scratch" You pick you kernel version and buiold your own distro fromt he ground up. THen it's what you make it.
    Compatability isn't realy an issue since all linux distros are interoperable. Mandrake Redhat and knoppix are probablyt he easiest to install. basicaly the only thing you can do is keep trying distros untill you find the right one. For me, Mandrake 9.0 is just right. For you, maybe gentoo, or redhat or lfs, it's like ice cream

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    For a linux system that is easy to install and go, I think mandrake is about the best. I run 8.? something, and it is very good. Recently there have been some good reviews on 9.? If I want to run a linux sys. on a older PC then I use Slackware. because I have some of the older Slackware C.D.s about.
    I have also tried and liked very much Debian, Knoppix is a great variation of Debian. But it needs a fairly powerful P.C. to run properly. The best I have is a 350MHZ pc. I love messing about with some of the mini distrubutions,
    Tomsrtbt floppy etc. Recently I set up a firewall/router using Freesco which runs of a floppy. Thats what I like about Linux, the variety. No matter what PC you may have, there is something for everyone. I can see the time when you will install a Linux dist. depending on your needs/interests. So if you like games then install Linxgames, if you need music then install Linxmusic etc etc. ................ Compare this with Microsoft, you get nothing. It is a form of slavery. Bonded to limited software, limited programming power. I like the freedom that GNU gives people.
    Knoppix is an example of which Microsoft would never give to its users.
    Flexibility and choice. A operating system with a load of applications built in. Enjoy and rejoice.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Knoppix is an example of which Microsoft would never give to its users.
    Flexibility and choice. A operating system with a load of applications built in. Enjoy and rejoice
    The flexibility is for those few who don't mind messing around. For the majority, even window is too flexible(and too much).

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    23
    After using Mandrake, SUSE, and RedHat, I decided on Debian. It's great once you get it installed, the Debian installer isn't that great but using Knoppix it's easy.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    Best distro?

    Best distro? The one YOU can get installed into YOUR computer and have all the software YOU want to work properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. linux to linux shares
    By realpc in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  2. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone picture

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone

$699.99



Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box picture

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box

$1500.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99