-
Senior Member
registered user
Writing to NTFS with Linux (hence Knoppix) is basically an experimental capability which is being tested. Older implementations of the NTFS write capability were reported to corrupt NTFS disks. The NTFS write capability in Knoppix 5.01 is said to be safe but has some limitations, and in any case has still to be thoroughly tested before it is suitable for use by everybody.
Therefore writing to NTFS involves some risk. Whether you should take the risk or not depends on your circumstances. It depends on how experienced you are with computers, whether you have backups etc.
I have been test writing to NTFS intensively for the last 2 months, but then I do on an experimental system where I am not afraid of losing data. In an emergency, let's say where my XP has crashed, and the last option I have to rescue my system is to use Knoppix, then yes, I would be prepared to use Knoppix to write to an NTFS partition. That's again because here I would have little to lose.
I would not recommend you to do it on your main XP system where you keep precious files and documents. In your case, since you just want to copy some files from one directory to another, I would recommend you do it within Windows.
There are some recent posts on the MS Windows section of this forum discussing Linux writing to NTFS.
Regards.
Similar Threads
-
By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99