-
error changing net interface name wlan0_temp to eth0
Using the knoppix cd my wireless card is detected and I can do the wlcardconfig and connect to my network, but after doing the knoppix-installer and trying to get it to work I get this error during the startup and hence cannot connect.
I'm a super Linux n00b so please be patient with me.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Welcome to Knoppix, the Live CD that really isn't suitable for installing, see answer #2. Networking in particular has a long history of breaking. Actually Knoppix wireless networking isn't all that strong to start with, I have several wireless nics that work under other Linux distros but not with Knoppix, and the one wifi NIC that did work under 4.02 stopped working under 5.0.1. Be glad your works under the Live CD, and consider the wisdom of install Knoppix rather than something intended for installing.
-
what I'm guessing
is that the wlancardconfig stuff I set up when I booted from the harddrive the first time is now referred to in some bootup script as wlan0_temp, and for whatever reason it fails when it tries to make this eth0. If I only got it to not do that anymore maybe I can deal with doing the wlancardconfig stuff manually every time (someone might even be able to write me a script I can click once logged on hint hint where I only exchange the ssid, channel, and key etc.), but I don't know where to look.
I thought that if KNOPPIX can do it from the cd it would be trivial to get it to work even when installed.
-
Re: what I'm guessing
Thats wrong! It should be eth1
eth0 is is your ethernet card.
And the OP said they were a super n00b, WTF are you trying to do to them?
-
any ideas?
the reason I'm using knoppix is it's the only LIVE cd I was able to boot up and get the wireless networking to work on.
I'm not sure it matters that it tries to name the wlan0_temp to eth0 rather than eth1, after all it works as eth0 when I use the cd.
If someone could point me to the file that does this renaming bit perhaps I could progress a bit further.
Thanks
-
DamnSmallLinux to the rescue
Works like a charm installed on my hard drive, boots up quickly and my wireless is working nicely. Worth a try if someone else has the same problems I did.
Similar Threads
-
By Kowood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-31-2005, 01:49 AM
-
By FunnyDingo in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
-
By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-16-2005, 08:14 AM
-
By ying-yang7 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 10:39 AM
-
By Tad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4
$300.00

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor
$39.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0
$38.00