Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: error changing net interface name wlan0_temp to eth0

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4

    error changing net interface name wlan0_temp to eth0

    Using the knoppix cd my wireless card is detected and I can do the wlcardconfig and connect to my network, but after doing the knoppix-installer and trying to get it to work I get this error during the startup and hence cannot connect.

    I'm a super Linux n00b so please be patient with me.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Welcome to Knoppix, the Live CD that really isn't suitable for installing, see answer #2. Networking in particular has a long history of breaking. Actually Knoppix wireless networking isn't all that strong to start with, I have several wireless nics that work under other Linux distros but not with Knoppix, and the one wifi NIC that did work under 4.02 stopped working under 5.0.1. Be glad your works under the Live CD, and consider the wisdom of install Knoppix rather than something intended for installing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4

    what I'm guessing

    is that the wlancardconfig stuff I set up when I booted from the harddrive the first time is now referred to in some bootup script as wlan0_temp, and for whatever reason it fails when it tries to make this eth0. If I only got it to not do that anymore maybe I can deal with doing the wlancardconfig stuff manually every time (someone might even be able to write me a script I can click once logged on hint hint where I only exchange the ssid, channel, and key etc.), but I don't know where to look.

    I thought that if KNOPPIX can do it from the cd it would be trivial to get it to work even when installed.

  4. #4

    Re: what I'm guessing

    Thats wrong! It should be eth1
    eth0 is is your ethernet card.

    And the OP said they were a super n00b, WTF are you trying to do to them?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4

    any ideas?

    the reason I'm using knoppix is it's the only LIVE cd I was able to boot up and get the wireless networking to work on.

    I'm not sure it matters that it tries to name the wlan0_temp to eth0 rather than eth1, after all it works as eth0 when I use the cd.

    If someone could point me to the file that does this renaming bit perhaps I could progress a bit further.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4

    DamnSmallLinux to the rescue

    Works like a charm installed on my hard drive, boots up quickly and my wireless is working nicely. Worth a try if someone else has the same problems I did.

Similar Threads

  1. Interface Not Registered?
    By Kowood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2005, 01:49 AM
  2. Only one network interface?
    By FunnyDingo in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 10:49 AM
  3. ra0 wireless interface disappeared!
    By paradigm_shift in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 08:14 AM
  4. Error changing lenguage
    By ying-yang7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 10:39 AM
  5. No Gui interface
    By Tad in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu... picture

Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...

$149.15



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99